New to OBS - Audio not captured

lmeyer8090

I am ripping my old VHS tapes to .MOV files. I am using a USB AV converter to stream from an old VCR to the USB port on my PC, using red, yellow, and white (there is no S Video out from the VCR). I am capturing via OBS. The video is capturing fine, but I cannot get an audio capture.

I get an audio pop at the beginning and end of each recording. My Audio Input Capture is set to Microphone (AV to USB 2.0). I can see the mixer bar for Audio Input Campture moving while playing/recording.

Any help would be appreciated.

konsolenritter

You mean the mixer bar within the obs audio mixer?

Then check if its not muted (grayed out) in the mixer. Further check in the Advanced Audio Properties that this mixers input is routed into the right tracks (those correspond to the output tracks you may configure in the output-recording section of the obs settings).
And that the mode "audio monitoring" is set to "Monitor&Output" or "Monitor Off". The wrong setting there would be "Monitor only..." where you could hear the source but it wouldn't reach for the output.

antoniomalafaya

i am having the similar issue in OSB; i am using a USB videograbber from gembird as a source and i can capture the video but the sound is not is not being captured; i have already tried many different settings including the above but still not working ; any additional help much appreciated

lmeyer8090

konsolenritter - thanks, I have looked at your suggestions, but made no progress. I am attaching a log file (should I put this to the log analyzer instead?)

Attachments

• 2024-06-09 09-01-06.txt
    13.3 KB · Views: 8

konsolenritter

konsolenritter - thanks, I have looked at your suggestions, but made no progress. I am attaching a log file (should I put this to the log analyzer instead?)

You could do it into the analyzer and look for yourself. Generic hint: Disable HAGS. (you'll find related posts here in the forum.)

Furthermore i can see that your USB AV converter seems to be bound multiple times as Mic/Aux 1, 2, 3 and so on. Please remove all but one in the generic settings and put all over to "none". The av converter should appear in the OBS audio engine just once. Either as dynamic (audio_input) source (via the scene objects) XOR (means: eXclusively Or) as a global device in the obs audio settings.

Putting in the same device more than once means that the OBS engine tries to open the device multiple times at once. One possible outcome of this may be a kept-silence audio source at all. So it may exactly your problem, possibly.

lmeyer8090

I'm getting closer. The multiple times were just my messing with settings trying to get anything to work.
I just changed my advanced audio properties. There are three lines, Audio Input Capture, Mix/Aux, and Video Capture Device. I turned Audio Monitoring to Monitor Off on the Mic/Aux and left it on Monitor and Output For the Audio Input Capture. That got me sound on my recording. The sound is a little quiet, but at least it is there.

koala

About audio monitoring in advanced audio properties:
OBS can output audio to two different destinations: one is called "output". Whenever you read "output" in OBS, it means audio is put into the video file OBS creates for recording, and to the video stream for streaming. The other one is "monitor". Whenever you read "monitor" in OBS, it means the corresponding audio is put on the monitoring device you set in Settings > Audio > Advanced > Monitoring device. If you read "default" in there, it's the default Windows desktop audio device, usually speakers, so you will hear that.
In advanced audio properties, you decide this audio destination: either monitor (and not output), or output (and not monitor), or both monitor and output.

If some audio within OBS is silent for you, it may be it's generated within OBS and not monitored. But it might be output to the recording, so you will hear it if you watch the file in your media player.

If you activate monitoring for some source you find silent, this audio is put into the Windows audio sound system, so you will hear it with your speakers or headset. If you capture that speakers at the same time with OBS, you capture that sound twice: once directly and a second time through capturing the monitoring device. Usually, this double capturing will result in echo and feedback loops. OBS tries to avoid this feedback loop by deactivate monitoring for such sources. In this case, activating monitor for some source seems to do nothing.

Capturing audio from a capture device can be configured in multiple ways in the audio settings of the capture device source. Scroll to the bottom and see all the options by playing with them. The default setting is "capture audio only" will just put the audio within OBS and will not monitor it. That's the best and most direct way. It will appear silent for you without monitoring, but the audio bar in the mixer will move, so there's proof there's audio. If you record this, you will have the audio in the resulting file. If you activate monitoring for the capture device, you will also hear it within Windows, but only if you don't capture Windows desktop audio at the same time. So I recommend you set all global audio devices in Settings > Audio > Global audio devices to disabled. If you intend to speak a commentary, you can leave the mic device enabled, but both desktop audio devices to disabled. You will also avoid Windows sounds being carried over into your video recording this way.

You seem to have done this, because Windows desktop audio isn't appearing in the OBS audio mixer for you. It's not clear for what you added an audio input capture source. This source is made for mic devices. If you don't use a mic, you don't need that source. You already configured a mic in your global audio devices, since Mix/Audio is appearing in your mixer - I doubt you have 2 mics, so at least 1, probably both mic sources are not needed and can probably be deactivated or removed.

If you just want to record audio from the capture device and nothing else, just the capture device audio source should appear in the mixer. Remove everything else, and you will avoid any influence from unwanted sources and the confusion that might arise from that.

konsolenritter

Just a small additional advice to add to koalas ingenious description and hints above:

Whenever possible the entry "default" in the global audio devices setting should be avoided: It leaves the decision to the windows audio system what input device this may be. Always start with all of them "disabled" or "none" as already suggested. If you need a global audio device (i personally prefer one, because its totally scene-independent then) then enable it and point it to the specific device you wish to use by its name.

Again: Don't use "default" because most people can't be sure what their "default" in their environment is.