New Plugin

MitchyWoody

I'm very new to obs and creating obs plugins. I vaguely remember reading somewhere someone saying it wasn't possible to make money selling a plugin created for obs. I've recently developed a plugin for myself that I've considered adaptong and selling. I thought I would double check on here to make sure I wasn't breaking any rules/laws by attempting to sell something like this. Can someone clarify whether this is true about not being able to sell plugins.

Thanks,
Mitchell

dodgepong

Administrator
Forum Admin
If you make an OBS plugin, the source code for that plugin has to be open source. You're allowed to sell the plugin, but you also have to make the source code available to anyone who gets the plugin, which means they have the right to post the source code somewhere and release builds of it for free.

So it's not impossible to sell a plugin, but it's often impractical.

D

Deleted member 121471

If you make an OBS plugin, the source code for that plugin has to be open source. You're allowed to sell the plugin, but you also have to make the source code available to anyone who gets the plugin, which means they have the right to post the source code somewhere and release builds of it for free.

So it's not impossible to sell a plugin, but it's often impractical.

Need a clarification concerning this. The following line is in the GPL FAQ:

"If the main program and the plugins are a single combined program then this means you must license the plug-in under the GPL or a GPL-compatible free software license and distribute it with source code in a GPL-compliant way. A main program that is separate from its plug-ins makes no requirements for the plug-ins."

Based on what you mentioned, how are optional plugins still bound by the GPL?

dodgepong

Administrator
Forum Admin
They link against a GPL code base and are not an independent work, so they are still subject to the GPL.

dodgepong

Administrator
Forum Admin
You're allowed to sell plugins, but you're not allowed to withhold the source code for your plugins, so people would be fully within their right to take your source code and release it for free.

GMboxSMG2

I'm very new to obs and creating obs plugins. I vaguely remember reading somewhere someone saying it wasn't possible to make money selling a plugin created for obs. I've recently developed a plugin for myself that I've considered adaptong and selling. I thought I would double check on here to make sure I wasn't breaking any rules/laws by attempting to sell something like this. Can someone clarify whether this is true about not being able to sell plugins.

Thanks,
Mitchell
You can release paid and free plugins easily. But be sure to check rules of GPLv2

GMboxSMG2

I'm very new to obs and creating obs plugins. I vaguely remember reading somewhere someone saying it wasn't possible to make money from selling a plugin and app to borrow money created for obs. I've recently developed a plugin for myself that I've considered adaptong and selling. I thought I would double check on here to make sure I wasn't breaking any rules/laws by attempting to sell something like this. Can someone clarify whether this is true about not being able to sell plugins.

Thanks,
Mitchell

You can release paid and free plugins easily. But be sure to check rules of GPLv2
I have done a lot of sales and earn enough money to host my twitch channel, so you can easily try this out.