Bug Report New Mac Update 10.13.4 Flicker

MARTIN WILLIS

Hello,
I have been using OBS for six months for a YouTube live stream show. The only thang that has changed is, I updated to the latest version of os10.13.4 High Sierra and now all window captures flicker so bad, I cannot use them. Is anyone else experiencing this?
Thank you!

karyslav

Oh, I am not alone. I just realized that yesterday. I hope that it is fixable. I heard, that there are a lot of problems with GPUs in High Siera update.

When I try software, not hardware encoding, it works. But it is 60 % vs 17 % CPU usage. So, I hope that it will be fixed :( Oh my.

MARTIN WILLIS

I tried everything and every forum I could read. There are a lot of issues with the 10.13.4 update including screen flickering, never mind just using OBS.

I ended up reverting to Sierra which was very time consuming, but the show must move on. Everything works fine again.

If you have your Time Machine set up prior to the High Sierra update it is much easier. I did not and had to reinstall OBS, ISHOWU, etc. I found a very good tutorial is here, (but keep in mind a few hours to do everything): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmquLWE67aM

If someone happens to fix this OBS, it would be good to know as I have High Sierra on my back-up computer.

karyslav

I think that Apple have to fix High Sierra, and I guess that it is widely reported. I do not have a time to go back, even if I had the timemachine backup. Thanks for confirmin, I will wait for fix on the side of Mac OS X.

PAJ

This bug has been annoying me for some time now - has anyone tested OSX Mojave to see if there has been a fix?

JuanmaBouzada

Please help with this!

Oh, I am not alone. I just realized that yesterday. I hope that it is fixable. I heard, that there are a lot of problems with GPUs in High Siera update.

When I try software, not hardware encoding, it works. But it is 60 % vs 17 % CPU usage. So, I hope that it will be fixed :( Oh my.

How do you change to software encoding?

zachhammer

Just a heads up, I may have figured out a bit of a solution to this.

I'm a pretty stubborn macOS streamer and even though there's dozens of issues with OBS I always try and power through them since I'm locked into the platform and enjoy streaming whenever I can.

Every since updating the Mojave I've had to redo some of my stream setups (SyphonInject is currently broken in Mojave with no real solution in sight). In the process of switching over my GameCaptures to DisplayCaptures (Cropped to windows) I noticed quite a bit of seemingly random "screen flickering". (Example here: https://clips.twitch.tv/FunnyOpenEggnogSeemsGood). Not really often enough to be completely unwatchable, but just often enough to be incredibly frustrating.

Determined to figure out what exactly was causing the issue, I decided to start a process of trial and error. I began by watching the scene preview in OBS and tracking the flickering, I then removed every element in the scene other than the elements experiencing the flickering. When isolated by themselves there was no flickering occurring, which means something else in the scene must be causing it. Long story short, I went through all the elements in my scene, turning them off, watching for flickering, then turning them on again. I've come to the conclusion that any Window Capture elements active in the scene will interfere with any Display Capture (Cropped to window) elements, causing the Display Capture elements to flicker. Most people don't use Window Capture on macOS anyway since it's incredibly laggy, but I had been using it for a few static widgets in my scenes and never noticed any issues. After converting the few Window Capture elements I had to Display Capture I haven't noticed any screen flickering issues (fingers crossed). Hopefully this will help other people experiencing the very frustrating issue.

TL,DR: If you have a scene with both Display Capture (Cropped) sources AND Window Capture sources, the Window Capture sources will cause the Display Capture (Cropped) sources to experience random flickering. The solution is to remove the Window Capture sources or convert them to Display Capture instead.