Question / Help New computer. Now what?

Wambat

Just got a new computer:
AMD Ryzen 7 2700 eight core
16gb ram
1tb ssd
2tb hdd
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 Super

I have the idea that, with this setup, I should be able to play a game, record the game play, render a video, and upload a video concurrently. I have no need of streaming. Would anybody care to advise the best way to set things up? Should I be recording onto my ssd, or my hdd? If I use use my GPU to help accelerate rendering, will that adversely affect game play and recording? Anything else I should be aware of?

FerretBomb

Use the Tools->Auto Config Wizard.

For recording, leave the Settings in Simple mode. Choose Indistinguishable quality, and NVENC (new) as your encoder. Also, run OBS as Administrator to enable the GPU priority workaround, so OBS gets 'first dibs' on GPU time for its minimal housekeeping tasks before the game has a chance to eat it all.

SSD or HDD won't generally matter, even a slow spinning-platter drive should able to write at 40-50MB/s, which is well above the kind of throughput needed for recording video with the above settings. I still record to SSD myself, just for the added margin to make SURE that nothing will bottleneck.

NVENC is a separate core on your GPU that normally sits idle, doing nothing. It is specifically for encoding video. There are only three options that use CUDA cores and will affect your gameplay; the Max Quality profile (use Quality instead), Psychovisual Tuning and Lookahead (leave both of them turned off).

Wambat

Thank you
Use the Tools->Auto Config Wizard.

For recording, leave the Settings in Simple mode. Choose Indistinguishable quality, and NVENC (new) as your encoder. Also, run OBS as Administrator to enable the GPU priority workaround, so OBS gets 'first dibs' on GPU time for its minimal housekeeping tasks before the game has a chance to eat it all.

SSD or HDD won't generally matter, even a slow spinning-platter drive should able to write at 40-50MB/s, which is well above the kind of throughput needed for recording video with the above settings. I still record to SSD myself, just for the added margin to make SURE that nothing will bottleneck.

NVENC is a separate core on your GPU that normally sits idle, doing nothing. It is specifically for encoding video. There are only three options that use CUDA cores and will affect your gameplay; the Max Quality profile (use Quality instead), Psychovisual Tuning and Lookahead (leave both of them turned off).
thank you