Network/Upload Issue (OBS problem?)

Hi everyone. I only have come here to post this after exhaustively reading so, so many posts about this subject on this forum. I'm really at my wit's end, and my ISP has indicated there is not much more they can do either and have redirected me to some generic resources for "help" (much to my frustration). So, here's this post.
Every test I run indicates that I pull down a solid 25-30 and upload 6.5-10mbps, which is the speed I sought out from this local wireless provider so I would once again be able to stream. And it's a fine speed, I have been able to stream at 720p60fps for YEARS on a similar, or even worse connection when I lived elsewhere. My computer is also beyond capable of handling it. The second speed test here is from today, and is a service provided by my ISP:
1674694287664.png
1674694341819.png

In my search for answers I was directed to the Twitch server connection test tool which has produced... very promising results! Results that scream, "You should be able to stream to these servers!"
1674694664738.png

But when I run the bandwidth test in OBS, I am met by fluctuating speeds from <1k kbps up to ~3500kbps, sometimes peeking above 4-5k. Sometimes it just gives up completely and plummets to 0, and stays there. I have tested to all servers close to me and even on the Auto select, and the results are shockingly consistent - and it's all bad.
cap3.PNG

cap2.PNG

I can tolerate some dropped frames of course, but not 65%. I'm really at a loss of what to do. OBS is particularly bad, but other applications seem to be performing poorly, too. Downloads on steam are only going at about 5 down, but I guess that makes sense considering that there are other devices on the network. But there are certainly no devices on my network uploading, or uploading so much that it completely kicks my OBS out of being able to tap into my upload speed.

https://obsproject.com/logs/CCFEDa01iGUqKTnC here is a log from a recent test I ran. I'm not sure if that's exactly what people on here need, but I can provide more if asked. I just really want to get this resolved. I've waited months to get this "better" internet to get back into my favorite hobby, streaming, and I've been so horribly disappointed these last couple days. Thanks in advance for any helpful advice. I don't know a ton about networking, so my apologies if I phrased something incorrectly.

R1CH

Forum Admin
Developer
Try the "Network Optimizations" in advanced settings to see if it helps. Also remove any network optimizer software that may be on your system like ASUS GameFirst or Killer Networking etc.

Try the "Network Optimizations" in advanced settings to see if it helps. Also remove any network optimizer software that may be on your system like ASUS GameFirst or Killer Networking etc.
I don't have any of that sort of software, just normal networking drivers. The network optimizations setting didn't really help, it's still dropping to zero and displaying the other sort of poor behavior described. I've even gone in and changed my DNS and everything, I've tried so many things and I just don't know what the deal is. Driving me nuts lol

here is my upload speed per another site, which... god damn it. and my ISP has already pretty much told me to jump off a cliff :)

Attachments

• upload lacking.PNG
    upload lacking.PNG
    29.9 KB · Views: 23

Tomasz Góral

Use WinMTR to check networks.
1.1 Mb/s is too small.
Sometimes i use ftp server to speedtest, you have access to ftp server?

Yeah, I know that 1.1 is too "small". The issue at hand is that my practical upload speed is somehow 10x less than the speed I get via other testing, and my ISP is now essentially calling me a liar.

Tomasz Góral

No, your ISP sell network speed from home to first bridge network, rest network and speed is 'is not under the control of the ISP'.
Some times is possible broken connection or your ISP buy too small network bandwidth.

Lawrence_SoCal

The reality is that supporting your use case may be something your ISP does NOT care to take on. Have you checked your ISPs Terms of Service?
I'm the kind of person to get righteously indignant, and rub other folks the wrong way (and that will get in the way if trying to get your ISP to support a new use case). Ideally (wishful thinking?) you'd find someone at the ISP you could talk to in terms of understanding the network (ie, don't accuse, seek only to understand) and mutually go on a journey to understanding your network traffic experience. Doing so likely means you'll need to learn and talk accurately in network terminology.

Hopefully your exhaustive reading has pointed out that speed test (ex. Ookla) are HIGHLY optimistic. They drop outlier results... BUT, when streaming, it is the lower sustained threshold that actually matters.

A wireless ISP having bandwidth, latency, and jitter variance are to be expected (all of which are terrible for livestreaming which typically is looking for CBR). And any test you run at one moment won't necessarily have any bearing on expected upload throughput the next moment. but I assume you don't have much choice... so, my $0.02
- most ISP know that vast majority of bandwidth is consumed on the download to client, therefore the consumer networks are configured to support that traffic pattern. And much of the upload traffic is using patented compression algorithms (ie Zoom, Teams, FaceTime, etc). In the overall scheme of things, livestream users of H.264 (inefficient from a 2023 perspective) is on the rare side, meaning the network is NOT optimized for such. And then there is the whole challenge of network consistency with wireless traffic (an oxymoron).

With that as context
- for a more meaningful bandwidth test, try uploading a large file (maybe 1GB??) to a internet based storage location (OneDrive, iCloud, Google Drive, etc)...and monitor throughput (NOT transferring via browser, ideally). If throughput is consistent, and in the multi-mb/s range, that a good sign. Now, different p[rotocols, network QoS, etc, but a good start. Then again, if upload throughput is inconsistent, then you either need a better connection (antenna, modem, router, etc) or it is the ISP themselves (or simply more clients/traffic in your area than your ISP can support with your use case).
There are better tests, but this one most folks can do.
As Tomasz is alluding too.... the test I'm proposing is an end-to-end test. But your connection from home to ISP's antenna could be fine, and there is some constraint on their back-end (which may or may not be within ISP's control to some extent .. a small ISP may not be able to afford a better (more expensive) uplink). There are ways to test each step in the route. BUT there are caveats to what an end-user can test, and it quickly gets complicated.
- *IF* a file transfer, or other similar bandwidth test looks positive (ie never drops below 4kbps), then it may well be a network config on the ISP's part (or their upstream provider) impacting Twitch traffic.
- if your upload bandwidth is too constrained for livestreaming, is Recording, uploading a video, and publishing that video an option?
- another approach is to reduce bandwidth need (ex moving to AV1 encoding, vs H.264). but, support for livestreaming with AV1 is quite limited at the moment (and likely to remain that way for a year or more)
- and of course, be sure to check for any other network traffic coming from your house (ie unexpected traffic). Hopefully, you also understand the implications of TCP reply (ACK) traffic