Question / Help Need to stream desktop in local network with very low latency (~50ms)

Anshuman Sharma

Hello All,

I need to share desktop of my Windows Surface tablet into local network with very low latency like ~50ms delay. Please suggest what modification I need to do with OBS?
Setup is:
Sender Device : Surface Tablet Resolution (2736x1824)
Receiver Device : Android Tablet
Network : High Speed network (LAN connection also available)
Current Latency : ~300ms (videos are also jittery) I need to play smooth video during desktop sharing.

Thanks
Anshuman

Narcogen

Not sure how that HDMI preview is going to get onto the Android tablet, though.

That said, there's no way to get NDI onto an Android tablet without going through a streaming server of some sort first, and that's going to throw out the idea of getting ~50ms of latency.

mtso

Hello All,

I need to share desktop of my Windows Surface tablet into local network with very low latency like ~50ms delay. Please suggest what modification I need to do with OBS?
Setup is:
Sender Device : Surface Tablet Resolution (2736x1824)
Receiver Device : Android Tablet
Network : High Speed network (LAN connection also available)
Current Latency : ~300ms (videos are also jittery) I need to play smooth video during desktop sharing.

Thanks
Anshuman
Hi,
May I know how you setup in OBS? (Ex: UDP, and VLC as client)

Thanks,
Michael

andocromn

Did you ever come up with a solution? I'm looking to do a similar setup myself, with 2 or 3 tablets or smart TVs as clients on the local network as well as a YouTube live stream. The goal being for the local clients to not use internet bandwidth as well as reduce latency, 50ms would be great but anything less than a round trip on the internet is better. I did look at NDI but the clients will most likely be on WiFi which NDI doesn't support

FerretBomb

OBS isn't built for the local screensharing of a system, much less at a low latency. You're trying to use a screwdriver as a hammer.
Use VNC or RDP instead.

If you want local viewers not to have to download the stream from a remote streaming endpoint, set up nginx-rtmp on a Windows box or Raspberry Pi, stream to that, then use VLC or jPlayer to watch the stream from that local server's replication while the server also sends it out to the streaming service ingest. It's out-of-scope for the OBS forums here though to provide support on how to set up nginx-rtmp as a relay and replication node, but there are plenty of tutorials out there on Google.

Have you already tried miracast? use an USB->hdmi dongle at your computer and the Miracast sender as an hdmi source. it is rather around 250 ms latency, but mostly works.