Question / Help Need to know what ASYNC Depth is

fatmatrow

I use QuickSync, and there is an option called Async Depth. i need to know what it does and what the optimal settings are.

Gol D. Ace

From Jack0r

https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/aync-and-join-operation-in-media-sdk-multi-transcoding
The asynchronous operation allows Media SDK to process multiple tasks without syncing, so more tasks can be processed in parallel before syncing to free resources. AsyncDepth is the parameter that controls the level of asynchronous operation before syncing. With larger AsyncDepth, Media SDK would allocate more surfaces to support asynchronous processing of multiple tasks. As such, although larger AsyncDepth allows more tasks to be processed in parallel, it can also cause the shortage of the resources that are available for further processing.

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
If you're trying to record high quality, I'd recommend just using the built-in encoding presets in simple output. It automatically configures the encoding settings for you for QSV/NVENC.

Although I can understand that you'd like to experiment with the settings, there's no real reason for most users to use advanced output mode these days for either recording or streaming unless you have a specific use case for it, or need multi-track audio recording support. We automatically configure the encoder to specific encoding settings for each specific encoder that are the most ideal to recording or streaming.

fatmatrow

I stream with it actually. I use a 4800 bit rate, 720@60. I know i shouldn't but with my hardware limitations, I gotta.

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
It's fine to stream with it, QSV has pretty good stream quality. Again though I'd still recommend simple output mode, it has the option there. You really don't have to mess with those settings. In simple output mode it even lets you adjust the preset if you want to try the quality preset to improve quality, and it'll set it up for you. Uses the "balanced" preset by default. The individual settings are really generally not necessary to manually modify.

Seung-Woo Kim

In a plain term, higher AsyncDepth will give you higher fps, but cause longer latency. Lower number goes the other way. AsyncDepth of 1 (in case for OBS) is implemented as a special mode and the whole encoding parameters are reconfigured for the lowest latency. This will change the frame sequence as well (I and B frame only,) and the decoder will be able to respond faster without buffering the decoded frames... more like video conferencing encode mode...

layarion

yes Jim but does simple still allow me to record multiple audio tracks? also from where i stand i can't adjust teh presets, nor does it show or tell me what settings they use so i can't even guess as to what they do to try and fine tune things.

i've been having a problem with dropped frames so i'm trying out quicks

but anyway, would be nice if i could see what settings each preset applies because then i could better guess as to what each setting does. in general i don't trust presets, even on other programs unrelated to recording. i just don't trust that people know what i want, but i'll give it a try just to see if it's better. However in this case i can't learn from it if i can't see what it's doing

fatmatrow

yes Jim but does simple still allow me to record multiple audio tracks? also from where i stand i can't adjust teh presets, nor does it show or tell me what settings they use so i can't even guess as to what they do to try and fine tune things.

i've been having a problem with dropped frames so i'm trying out quicks

but anyway, would be nice if i could see what settings each preset applies because then i could better guess as to what each setting does. in general i don't trust presets, even on other programs unrelated to recording. i just don't trust that people know what i want, but i'll give it a try just to see if it's better. However in this case i can't learn from it if i can't see what it's doing

Quicksync won't help with dropped frames. Dropped frames are network related

layarion

Quicksync won't help with dropped frames. Dropped frames are network related
i only record, i don't stream. Which if you haven't guessed, can still get dropped frames. Might otherwise be known as duplicated frames? Which is annoying because i record to my C Drive which is an SSD and the game is on my D drive.

So i haven't been able to really pinpoint what the cause is, my only solution might be to get an encoder card. At like 200$ though i can't justify it considering i don't get money from my video's. Maybe one day

fatmatrow

A capture card will not help in most cases. Capture cards are for getting external video sources, not ones on the same pc. What processor do you have

A capture card will not help in most cases. Capture cards are for getting external video sources, not ones on the same pc. What processor do you have
I used both internal and external capture card in the past, all I had to do was (prepare to get yourself shocked) plug the HDMI cable in said cards and output it back to my display (near zero latency passthrough is real). you could also use a different output port to clone the one you're gaming on and (prepare to get shocked again), you don't need to rely on passthrough neither HDMI split.

My main problem with capture cards was the audio, I always had to rely on something else to capture separated audio channels for the game, myself and my friends, three audio tracks in one video), so I just gave up on the whole "separated solution", it was actually not practical in my case.

Last edited:

layarion

Jim i might not touch the advanced tab of recording if i could "see" what exactly simple mode was doing. in short i don't trust templates, especially ones with 0 transparency. I mean how do i know that you really understand my needs if i don't even know what it's really doing?

Yeah, but if you're capturing input from the same pc the card is on, youre (gasp) wasting resources

Wasting? First of all both cards I used had Dedicated Hardware to encode audio and video from it's input, so CPU and GPU were not used for encoding. All that was left for the CPU was get the encoded result and stream over to a file on the Hard Drive. One of the capture devices I used even had a SD card slot, not even file writing was done by the PC since it could write the encoded video in a SD Card. I don't see resources being wasted. Specially in the last case.

Osiris

That's not really relevant when using OBS. OBS needs to decode (in case of usb 2.0 capture devices) and then also encode the composited video.

That's not really relevant when using OBS. OBS needs to decode (in case of usb 2.0 capture devices) and then also encode the composited video.
Yeah... I was just talking about my specific lame situation. Now I'm in trouble with Quick Sync, giving me a hard time.

PrinceVinc

Sorry to hijack this, but I need to know what Async Depth means.

I absolutely need to set Keyframe interval to 2 for editing my recordings.

So I can't use Simple mode, which I would otherwise do.

Or in other words: Does every preset has an Async Depth of 4 in OBS Simple mode?