Necessary OBS features for recording.

sudopluto

OBS is hands down the best software for streaming, and I really mean that. OBS for recording however, could really benefit from these features:

• MJPG video and PCM audio encoding option
  • Separate Audio Tracks
  • Overlay with System Time, Recording Timer, Recording Size, PTT / Mic / Active Indicator
Now I will discuss these points. MJPG video and PCM audio are very important for YouTubers who want high-quality easily-editable recordings. Right now OBS only records in end-user codecs, which is great for streaming and file size, but if want to seriously edit the footage, you have to convert the video into a intermediate codec. The MJPG & PCM combination is available in multiple recording softwares like Bandicam and MSI Afterburner, so there is some merit to implementing this. Multiple audio tracks are absolutely necessary for local recordings. Sometimes you need to mute your friend in skype, remove background noise from your mic, or reduce the volume of the game audio. Lastly, the features in the last bullet point come from MSI Afterburner and ShadowPlay. These stats/indicators make recording so much more easier due to information these present. In my humble opinion, if OBS can implement these features it could because the best recording software out there.

Pyrii

I personally use utvideo for lossless recording. Really just wanting the ability to use any codec. Appparently this is coming in OBS Multiplat.