My Elgato 4K PRO supports 240hz at 1440p but it will not render in OBS on the Stream PC

attursson

Hi, I'm new to the forum. Nice to meet everybody!

I recently received the new 4K PRO from Elgato and I was very excited to finally get rid of screen tearing in my recordings as I run 1440p on a 240hz gaming monitor on my main gaming PC. But as I installed it and tried every possible setting that I know about it will not display it on OBS on the stream PC. The image gets pixelated as if it was at a much lower resolution. And yes, the signal is sent as 1440p240.

If I lower the capture cards signal HZ to 144 the image is fine just as with my previous 4K60 PRO where this was the max supported format. My only explanation to this problem is that the stream PCs Graphics card is not strong enough for this resolution at 240hz. Please tell me I'm wrong?
The stream PC has a Geforce GTX 1070 Graphics card.

I suppose I never stopped to think of this since I wasn't aware of such limits. I can't really find a 240hz limit for the specs on the 1070 when trying to search for it either.

If this is the problem, what is the cheapest GPU to support 1440p at 240hz?

Any input appreciated!

Thank you

sprc

Hello, I came here to say that I am having the same problem with my recently bought 4K Pro, but I think my graphics card is strong enough to capture that high of a framerate on my streaming pc (2080 SUPER). I feel like I bought 4K60 Pro with just different name (4K Pro) cause it acts the same. I feel scammed. Hope someone helps us out with the situation.

Suslik V

@sprc
Full log file (after OBS close) has special Profiler data that can help to understand where bottleneck is.

Edit: see 2 posts below.

Last edited:

attursson

Hello, I came here to say that I am having the same problem with my recently bought 4K Pro, but I think my graphics card is strong enough to capture that high of a framerate on my streaming pc (2080 SUPER). I feel like I bought 4K60 Pro with just different name (4K Pro) cause it acts the same. I feel scammed. Hope someone helps us out with the situation.
Interesting

rockbottom

It looks good on the spec sheet I guess. Probably a hardware limitation why it can't capture 1440p @ 240HZ.

Kinda like 144, 165HZ monitors. They should go the way of the dodo. They were made since the hardware at the time couldn't do 240HZ. Not an issue anymore. If people stop buying them, they will stop making them.