My CPU usage is averaging 0.033% and my recordings are low quality. Any help?

Dazo

My CPU usage is averaging 0.033% and not going above 0.1%. My recordings are low frames and low quality even though I've pretty much maxed out OBS recording settings. I'm using an RTX 4080, intel i7 13700k and 32GB of ram.

I am also using NVIDIA DSR to upscale my screen from 1440p to 4k. My GPU usage whilst playing the game and recording is at 50% - 70%
1695311881262.png
1695311988270.png

Last edited:

Dazo

For recording:
1> rate control to CQP
2> CQP level to 14
3> preset to P1
This fixes the problem but the quality isn't good + This shouldn't be necessary on an rtx 4080 & intel i7 13700k.

I will also say that before I upgraded to my current pc (about 4 months ago) I had a laptop with an rtx 2070 and intel i7 10700H and with the same settings I didn't get this issue (also using DSR to upscale to 4k)

Last edited:

Harold

The rate control and CQP level i gave are the settings used by the simple output mode "indistinguishable" quality preset. If you're checking your recordings after setting those settings, make sure you're using a better player than the ones built into windows. Windows' built in players have a 20+ year history of playback and compatibility problems.

Try your recording done with the settings I gave in VLC.

Dazo

The rate control and CQP level i gave are the settings used by the simple output mode "indistinguishable" quality preset. If you're checking your recordings after setting those settings, make sure you're using a better player than the ones built into windows. Windows' built in players have a 20+ year history of playback and compatibility problems.

Try your recording done with the settings I gave in VLC.
Thanks for the help. I found the problem and the fix was switching from NVIDIA HEVC to NVIDIA H.264 and switching from CBR to CQP with the level at 14 like you said. HOWEVER, the quality still looks bad (looks like its over sharpened at 720p) even at 4k with everything maxed out on CQP level 14.

Last edited:

koala

HOWEVER, the quality still looks bad (looks like its over sharpened at 720p)
This sounds as if you activated some video postprocessing functionality, either built in the video player or some video "enhancement" enabled in the Nvidia control panel. Neither OBS nor h.264, hevc or av1 do any sharpening on their own while encode/decode.