Question / Help Multiple Webcam Setup Help

maniacmusic

Hi, my name is Sebastian and I know nothing (about streaming).

Knowing nothing about it all I bought a couple of webcams (C920's) thinking I could just hook 'em up (@SurfacePro4) and stream away with my inexpecive mobile streaming setup...
unfortunually it will only run a single Webcam, it's a bandwidth issue, the damn tablet only has a single USB port.
I tried it using a MacBook Pro and was able to run two cameras but I intend to run like 6.

I don't need all Webcams to be active, what I want to do is change between them and only run one, it would be nice to have an option to allow this use of the software.

I'd like to know if this would be possible using maybe other (paid) software or if I should scrap that idea and go with an HDMI capture solution ?

What is the best bang/buck setup can you recommend that can take about 6 HDMI inputs?

Thank in advance!

koala

You're essentially saying: "Do all the work for me, because I am unable to do it". Unfortunately, this isn't how a support forum works. We can help if you have some specific issue, but setting up complex hardware and creating the stream, which is all in all the whole project, is still left up to you.

Make yourself familiar with OBS studio, start with one webcam, learn how OBS with webcams works by doing it, then add more webcams and see how you can go from there.

And don't buy hardware before you know it has the features you need and will work as intended. Before you buy something, there is always some research to do. Usually, this research is done in the product specs of a prospective device, in user ratings of this device (found in Amazon, for example) and in reviews of this device (found via Google). There is also a huge number of guides and guidelines found via Google if it comes to OBS studio in a given scenario (your scenario would be: "obs studio multiple webcams", which makes a very nice Google search.

maniacmusic

You're essentially saying: "Do all the work for me, because I am unable to do it". Unfortunately, this isn't how a support forum works. We can help if you have some specific issue, but setting up complex hardware and creating the stream, which is all in all the whole project, is still left up to you.

You're essentially saying "google it". I thought a support forum is for people to seek help and information. All this time you spent writing this text you could have been actually helpful and include a link to a good guide for multiple camera setups. Maybe here on the board?

Make yourself familiar with OBS studio, start with one webcam, learn how OBS with webcams works by doing it, then add more webcams and see how you can go from there.
I know how to use OBS, it's pretty intuitive.

And don't buy hardware before you know it has the features you need and will work as intended. Before you buy something, there is always some research to do.
THIS, this is why I'm here... any tips?

There is also a huge number of guides and guidelines found via Google if it comes to OBS studio in a given scenario (your scenario would be: "obs studio multiple webcams", which makes a very nice Google search.
Believe it or not but I searched exactly that and found a ton of people having the same issue, I'd like to learn the proper way because bunch'o'webcams doesn't seem to be it. Would it kill you to link a good one?

Thanks, koala

carlmmii

Something you can try is enabling the option to "Disable device when not shown" in the webcam properties. This may or may not work though -- sometimes the handshake won't work depending on how the scenes are switched, so you may need to experiment with a blank transition screen in between... and even that's not a guarantee.

For your 6-HDMI question, best bang for the buck would be to get a single HDMI capture device, and use an HDMI switcher to physically switch between inputs. You can get 6-input switchers for around $70-$80 easily, most are usually using the exact same hardware.