Multiple resolution encoding/streaming?

Koolio

Would love an option to be able to encode at lower quality /lower downscaled resolution for live stream, and encode at higher quality & high resolution (no downscale) for saving to disk locally.

I mean really would love such an option, as my upload speed sucks so I can't use a decent quality bitrate or higher resolution.

And can't really use the livestream video that's saved at lower quality for any editing purposes.

dodgepong

Administrator
Community Helper
Encoding something twice at the same time is a recipe for extraordinarily high CPU usage, and is guaranteed to severely impair your computer's performance.

That said, you can run 2 instances of OBS using the "-multi" command line flag and run them at the same time with different encoding parameters if you really want to try.

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
I don't know about multiple resolutions, but multiple encoders and/or multiple stream paths are something that will happen in the future I think.

Koolio

I hope something happens.. I don't mind the extra cpu.. the bottleneck for me is my connection speed, mainly upload

"but multiple encoders and/or multiple stream paths are something that will happen in the future I think."

This alone would be a good enough trade off as the its the quality of the local save that seems dumb that it can't even just be raw.. though personally extra cpu usage for high quality encoding would be nothing for most who are doing this kinda stuff.

ScardyBob

Jim said:
I don't know about multiple resolutions, but multiple encoders and/or multiple stream paths are something that will happen in the future I think.
I would love to see built-in transcoding to lower resolution as I'm looking for alternatives to Twitch Partnership to provide lower resolution streaming to my viewers (e.g. 1080p for viewers with fast connections, 540p for those with slow ones).

Krazy

Town drunk
When it happens.

Lots of things are demanding developer time, and this is fairly low priority.

Bensam123

If you could stream to another OBS client... say across a LAN you could have it encode the second stream for Twitch. In other words have the primary computer encode it once, save it to the HD, and then have it stream to the second computer where it would encode it for Twitch...

If only OBS could could use a RTMP stream as a source and/or had a stream server built in. :)