Multiple Program Feeds

Joko-bs

Hey community,

tl/dr; Is there any way to have two different program view in one OBS instance? Sometimes showing the same scene, sometimes showing different scenes?

Setup: I am the tech guy at my local church and we are livestreaming our sunday services with OBS. Basically I have two video sources in my OBS, one is the program view of an external video mixer and the other is video capture of my presentation PC. I then have a set of different scenes to combine both video signals. E.g. overlay (with luma key) for song texts or lower thirds, split screen scenes and picture in picture scenes. Addionally to the livestreaming we show the program view on our video projector to the audience.

Background: We have bought a license to show song texts in our livestream. But the licensing agency (CCLI) now has problems making contracts with some license owners and therefore we are not able to use the license after Oct. 31st.

Problem: We use OBS to livestream our service to YouTube as well as we show the program view on a video projector to the audience. I am now looking for a solution to livestream the service w/o song texts and simultaniously show th same video with song texts to the audience. But I need one program view for projection and another program view for livestreaming. To only send one scene directly to the projector is no option.

.norman.

Hey community,

tl/dr; Is there any way to have two different program view in one OBS instance? Sometimes showing the same scene, sometimes showing different scenes?

Setup: I am the tech guy at my local church and we are livestreaming our sunday services with OBS. Basically I have two video sources in my OBS, one is the program view of an external video mixer and the other is video capture of my presentation PC. I then have a set of different scenes to combine both video signals. E.g. overlay (with luma key) for song texts or lower thirds, split screen scenes and picture in picture scenes. Addionally to the livestreaming we show the program view on our video projector to the audience.

Background: We have bought a license to show song texts in our livestream. But the licensing agency (CCLI) now has problems making contracts with some license owners and therefore we are not able to use the license after Oct. 31st.

Problem: We use OBS to livestream our service to YouTube as well as we show the program view on a video projector to the audience. I am now looking for a solution to livestream the service w/o song texts and simultaniously show th same video with song texts to the audience. But I need one program view for projection and another program view for livestreaming. To only send one scene directly to the projector is no option.

make 2 scenes 1 with the text and one without, then right click on the one without and send it to a full screen projector view to a 2nd monitor for the local audience.

Joko-bs

As I said in the last sentence, it is not practicle to send one scene directly to the projector. I have a setup using 8 different scenes and I need at least three or four of them each service. There are complex transitions between the scenes that are organized with the transition table plug-in. If it would be a simple solution, I would have found it ........

khaver

You could try using 2 instances of OBS. The first instance would be without the overlays which could be livestreamed. Send the output from this instance to the second instance of OBS using the Virtual Camera. Add the overlays in this second instance which would be projected in your church.

I'm not sure how multiple instances of OBS works, but maybe have your main installation be the non-overlay, streaming instance and a portable installation be the with-overlays, projected instance.

Joko-bs

Bringing in a second OBS instance would result in an additional amount of latency ... Not hat much in a regular setup but at the moment we are at around 200ms of latency on the projector. And this is somewhat painful right now.

.norman.

Ok, my best idea... make a new scene and a virtual camera set to internal and program view, add that camera to the new scene with the text overlays that you need, send that scene to a projector. I think that it will achieve what you are trying to do.

Joko-bs

Interestingly capturing OBS's virtial camera works now. I have tried it a few days ago and it didn't work back then. I neither have changed anything nor did I update anything. However, I had the same idea. I am still not sure whether it works perfectly, but it could be a workaround. I will test it on friday when I am at church again. Thx for this idea.

There is only one thing that makes me quite uncomfortable with the situation. Latency. Currently I have a latency of nearly 200ms between things happening on stage and the live projection. But I also have a quite complex hardware signal chain. Cameras are connected with fiber optics hdmi cables, external video mixer, capture card, docking station that connects all usb deices an all external display. The projection disply ithself is splitted to four displays (two control displays, a TV and a projector). The projector then is run with a fiber optics hdmi cable as well.

khaver

Back in the analog days, everything ran at the speed of light (or electrons through wire). Progress?

Joko-bs

Back in those you didn't have OBS ... Nope, still no progress. As I wrote, I'll be back in church on friday to test it.

Joko-bs

Short Update to my problem and our commonly developted workaround:

I could proof the concept of using the virtual camera as man source in a special projection scene overlayed by my luma keyed presentation source. I can see the video feed in prgram view w/o subtitles as well as the video feed with subtitles in my projection scene. I further can enable and disable subtitles with a hotkey.

I haven't tried to use this setup in our service yet. I did only some tests even w.o. active streaming. So I can't prove this setup completely right now.

I'm furhter not completely ready to setup this configuration. Currently I have a special hotkey to enable/disable the subtitles in my projection scne. But I'm planning to change the disable hotkey to any of the "Switcht to scene" hotkeys of all other scenes.

Joko-bs

I think I have found a better way to define multiple outputs. The Downstream Keyer plug-in introduces an Output Source to the available sources. I can use this w/o needing to capture OBS' virtual camera.