multi-track audio

bravedog

I'm returning to the title subject of this thread, multitrack audio in mkv

1] Do I correctly understand that if multitrack mkv is recorded, only stereo tracks 1-2, or in some software one can choose which track or 2 tracks? This would mean multitrack recording has disadvantages in that for most people to hear all tracks, audio would need to be edited down to one or two audible tracks first, and the only point of multitrack mkv audio is strictly for audio editing in post.

If this is correct, I would certainly not use OBS multitrack recording except in special circumstances.

2] If I choose to multitrack, what should I use to edit this audio? I understand Adobe has removed Premiere ability to edit mkv.but my old CS5.5 version also cannot import mkv. Free is good...
Thanks

koala

To answer 1): Yes, this is correct. You record multi track, if you intend to postprocess audio, every source separately, and create the mixed track for the audience afterwards. If you don't intend to postprocess the audio, there's no point in multi track recording.

Suslik V

2] If I choose to multitrack, what should I use to edit this audio? ... cannot import mkv.
You can re-multiplex recorded file into container that is supported by your editor (for example to .mp4):
OBS main menu File > Remux Recordings

Edit: but I prefer to record directly into fragmented .mp4

bravedog

You can re-multiplex recorded file into container that is supported by your editor (for example to .mp4):
OBS main menu File > Remux Recordings

Edit: but I prefer to record directly into fragmented .mp4
Thanks for your reply! That is interesting and news to me, do I understand you though? If I have an mkv with 6 recorded tracks, only 2 at most of which are audible in default player, can I just drop the mkv into OBS remux and it will create an mp4 or whatever which plays all the recorded tracks now in default player? That would be very helpful, thanks for the mention,if i understand it!

BUT my question was actually intended at something else, let's say I recorded 6 track mkv and now I want just to edit that audio, changing various tracks balance, volume, etc. What software allows me to d this? Seemingly nether Audacity nor Premiere. So, what? Free is best. Thx

Suslik V

I lost the conversation thread. What you want to get from OBS in the first place? Why you decided to download it?

bravedog

Yes the thread has veered rather widely, but is back to the original question, multitrack audio. Even if often 'off-topic' t's been a most helpful thread for me, leading to answers to many questions and clearing up misunderstandings I had.

I want OBS for streaming and for recording. This thread's been I know a catchall for questions which have arisen for me as I learned it. Got a decent grasp now for my needs. Still looking at less important aspects I'm unsure how/if to use.

Anyway my current active questions are:
1] You mention Remux in OBS, further reading shows I misunderstood you and this doesn't consolidate the audio tracks; it just converts the mkv which I couldn't open in Premiere, to mk4 I can, without data loss . Right?
2] I am considering usefulness to me of OBS mkv availability of multi-track audio recording but am unsure what software might be good to use to remix that multi-track audio if once created. Maybe my version of Premiere CS5.5 would work if Remuxed to mp4 which I can import there and see/edit stereo audio; unsure about mp4 multi-track edit capabilities? I am soliciting suggestions of software where that might be done easily/intuitively//cheaply. Thx

Suslik V

1] Remux in OBS ... it just converts the mkv ... without data loss . Right?
Yes.

2] unsure what software might be good to use...
Software:
Popular question:

Everything else - you try and decide on your own.

(as video editor I'm using heavily customized build of openshot, it is still very bugged, slow, and I didn't made a single video in the last 6 month; as audio editor I'm using audacity v3.0.2; last time I used OBS - it was because of the AI based sound noise filters, blank video)

Last edited:

bravedog

Nice links! Though I am satisfied with my video editing SW and even my general audio editing SW. Specifically dealing w multitrack audio within video which is my issue, it looks like Audacity may work, though I thought I read elsewhere that not all audio tracks there will be editable simultaneously; also may depend on version, will look at this more!

koala

It's a while I used Audacity, but as far as I remember, it's able to import an arbitrary number of tracks from video files (mp4 and mkv). If you're pointing the import function to a video file, you're offered all audio tracks contained in the file and are able to select them all.

I also remember it's possible to cut audio tracks into pieces and shuffle parts of audio tracks around within the same track and to other tracks.
Finally, after all cutting, editing and shuffling clips around, you use the Export function to export a mix of all non-muted tracks in the editor. Then I replaced all separate audio tracks in the video file with this single exported track.

toplachi

On my setup, I enable recording all audio channels that I want to hear on track 1. Then as back up, I separate each of them to the remaining tracks. That way the recorded video will still act as it has the complete audio (from track 1) but you can still edit edit each track if needed. I also remux it first to mp4 before importing to adobe premiere

toplachi

1] Do I correctly understand that if multitrack mkv is recorded, only stereo tracks 1-2, or in some software one can choose which track or 2 tracks? This would mean multitrack recording has disadvantages in that for most people to hear all tracks, audio would need to be edited down to one or two audible tracks first, and the only point of multitrack mkv audio is strictly for audio editing in post.

If this is correct, I would certainly not use OBS multitrack recording except in special circumstances.
Another primary use of multi-track audio is to create a video with different audio tracks for language translations. I don't think users would be happy that media players like VLC would select to play all tracks of audio by default.

bravedog

On my setup, I enable recording all audio channels that I want to hear on track 1. Then as back up, I separate each of them to the remaining tracks. That way the recorded video will still act as it has the complete audio (from track 1) but you can still edit edit each track if needed. I also remux it first to mp4 before importing to adobe premiere
Seems like good thinking.

bravedog

I've confirmed that for me mkv multitrack audio obs produced indeed imports as multiple audio tracks into free Audacity where they are editable.

For anyone searching for answers later reading this thread, I also find that OBS tracks are each stereo, so although its defaults are Track 1 only, this still means a stereo audio signal. [wasn't clear to me at first].