Multi-Monitor support in preview

DeathtoGnomes

I use two widescreen monitors(win8.1) and when using OBS during some games, I use 2 resources, one Monitor Capture for each monitor. I do realize that this program has limited function. What I want to suggest is that the preview be able to split into sections one per resource, another option is to allow additional instances of OBS to run but limit successive ones to preview mode only.
Another thing I noticed is, lets call it a minor stutter, when recording and playing games on the same hard drive. I am not sure how to pinpoint that but it is unclear what settings are needed for performance "other than quality balance" and wonder what is acceptable for local recording without the random blur effect that I associate with the stutter. I'd like to see a better help file, or even a wiki link.

When setting base resolution, there are only 2 choices here custom and Monitor, when selecting monitor and trying to go back to Custom it doesnt quite work as expected, even if i set my resolution to 3840x1080 it still previews and records just 1 monitor, I have no idea how to reset this to capture the whole width. SO I assume this doesnt work well with Eyefinity one set to a single monitor. Monitor Capture resource only has a choice of monitors. So yea there does need a few more options for everything including separate options just for local recording.

ThoNohT

Developer
Your post contains several aspects, so I'll try to split it up and answer each part individually.

let's start with multi-monitor preview. I'm not sure if you understand how OBS is meant to be used. You don't get different previews based on different sources, you typically include both sources in one scene. You might be correct in that there is no way to have a fullscreen preview cover multiple monitors, but why would you really want that? You appear to be recording to the hard drive, so you could just have OBS sit minimized under the games, and play the games in fullscreen. Or do you have some other custom application for this?

By the way, you can run multiple instances of OBS, and you can hit preview on the second one in stead of start streaming, that would not really help, as you would only be recording the part that is contained in the first instance of OBS that is actually streaming. If you hit start streaming on the second instance of OBS, you will get two video files, which both contain the two instances' individual outputs.

For the stutter, there are quite some settings that can impact performance. Quality balance is not one of them though, it does affect blur, though. The best way to get help about performance issues, is to post a log, so we can actually check if something is set up wrong.

Setting the base resolution back to custom is definitely possible, are you sure you hit apply after changing it? The "monitor" option really only exists to fill in the monitor's resolution in the custom field. So if you select that field again, it will overwrite the value you typed in the custom field earlier.

You don't set the base resolution to capture anything. It only defines how big the output area is going to be, then it's up to you to fill this with sources in whatever way you want. I'd think capturing a game that spans two monitors can be done using just one game capture source. But you could for example also fit two monitor captures side by side in there.

As a side note, you might want to wonder who wants to actually watch a video that has such a strange aspect ratio. For most users watching it, it's going to be a very narrow strip of video, because they need to fit it into a single monitor. But that's all up to you.