Question / Help Multi-Channel Audio Input Issues

MuckDaRags

I’m using Mac (Yosemite) version of OBS. I’m trying to configure audio to OBS from a PreSonus Firestudio device (16.0.2 mixer). This is a 16 channel digital mixer. I’m able to get audio output from channels 1 and 2 to OBS by selecting the PreSonus FireStudio in OBS audio settings > Mic/Aux Audio Device. I can’t get any sound from the other 14 channels. This is the case when I select either mono or stereo in the Channels setting. Any ideas on how I can configure this so that I can stream all 16 channels of audio? Thanks!

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
When data is coming from a device it assuming channels to mean a speaker layout, not differing audio. I am going to implement the ability to configure it to allow different channels in the future, but right now I just set it to clamp to the first two channels and assume they're used in a stereo layout if it detects more than 8 channels on a device.

petec

Hi, just wanted to confirm hasn't been added as a feature to OBS Studio since this thread, right? OBS seems to allow any combination of channels 1-4 to be selected / muted, unfortunately my audio capture device (usb soundcard) has the input audio coming in on channels 11 and 12. For now, I can go back to a different (crummy old) soundcard for audio capture, but just wanted to double-check there's no hidden feature or beta version or anything I should be trying.

Thanks, and really excellent app regardless of this! :)

Pete

petec

Not sure if "bumps" are allowed, but this is still an issue for me 3 years later.
It's a bit strange that OBS now supports advanced multi-channel audio streaming (4.1, 5.1, etc), yet there's no ability to choose which channels of an audio card are used for even a simple stereo broadcast. Instead all the audio channels are all sort of jumbled together at best - most audio streaming apps (like Nicecast) let you choose which soundcard output channels are broadcast, for instance 5/6 or 11/12.

I've found some workarounds listed using loopback ASIO drivers, eg this:
https://forums.pioneerdj.com/hc/en-us/articles/115004806423-Streaming-with-OBS-DJM-Windows-
but it seems a bit silly to have to do that given how powerful and flexible OBS is. Can't we just get an advanced audio setting which checks the # of channels and lets you pick a particular stereo pair (or one left and one right)?

pkv

Developer
this has nothing to do with obs but is a driver limitation : requests the maker of your device not to make crippled wdm drivers.
To go around that limitation, use the asio plugin (disclaimer: i developed it with andersama; google it).
You'll be able to pick the channels you want : this is because asio is not crippled ...

petec

this has nothing to do with obs but is a driver limitation : requests the maker of your device not to make crippled wdm drivers.
To go around that limitation, use the asio plugin (disclaimer: i developed it with andersama; google it).
You'll be able to pick the channels you want : this is because asio is not crippled ...
Not sure what WDM has to do with it as I'm on OSX. Your plugin looks like exactly what I want though , is there an OSX version?

pkv

Developer
oh my bad, i didn't notice that was Mac forum ... No asio is only under windows ; wdm are also windows drivers.
So ignore my previous comment.
In your case, the only solution is to use virtual sound devices which will allow routing (ex: soundflower like apps, such as Loopback...)
The best I've used under mac is Loopback, but it is very expensive ...
It will allow one to route input channels to as many virtual devices as one wants.

I wasn't able to find a feature request inside Mantis for this, so I've just created one. I have two XLR microphones connected to an external amp/soundcard and input 1+2 (as reported to the OS) are interpreted as a single stereo channel.

With this feature, it could be possible to select which channel of a sound device to use for the internal device selection: https://obsproject.com/mantis/view.php?id=1590

petec

Thanks for adding the ticket, shame there's yet another fix which only works for windows. I'm surprised this still doesn't work as it seems the advanced audio UI is attempting to provide support to select / mute audio individual audio channels, it just doesn't work (unless I'm misunderstanding that screen / the checkboxes).

moedave

I’m using Mac (Yosemite) version of OBS. I’m trying to configure audio to OBS from a PreSonus Firestudio device (16.0.2 mixer). This is a 16 channel digital mixer. I’m able to get audio output from channels 1 and 2 to OBS by selecting the PreSonus FireStudio in OBS audio settings > Mic/Aux Audio Device. I can’t get any sound from the other 14 channels. This is the case when I select either mono or stereo in the Channels setting. Any ideas on how I can configure this so that I can stream all 16 channels of audio? Thanks!
Can I ask what version of OBS you're running? I would like to install OBS on an older MacPro. It sounds to me like it's a PreSonus issue where it's muting the other channels or something like that. I webcast using an outboard video switcher & audio mixer that embeds everything into an hdmi signal to my Black Magic Intensity Pro 4 card.

pkv

Developer
mac users, try the rematrix filter: there's now a mac plugin for obs , here . This will allow to select the channels of your source , set the level of each channel independently

DirektorMike

I'm able to see the separate channels in all the other softwares like Ableton, Audacity etc. And also in the system mappings so that means that the channels are available. I'm just unable to select the separate channels in OBS. I'm trying to install the Rematrix but it seems I need to create an installer package in Github? Not sure how that works.

pkv

Developer
I'm able to see the separate channels in all the other softwares like Ableton, Audacity etc. And also in the system mappings so that means that the channels are available. I'm just unable to select the separate channels in OBS. I'm trying to install the Rematrix but it seems I need to create an installer package in Github? Not sure how that works.
it seems you're on mac, so my post doesn't apply to you (asio is on windows); as to rematrix, we did not compile the plugin for mac. Your best option is to use a routing app like blackhole or loopback