Question / Help monitor capture disappears in OBS when sth opens in full screen

Lalaflower

Heya :)

My monitor capture is working fine until I open something in full screen mode, as example opening an old game wich is only playable in full screen mode, or when I am opening the Chatbot wich asks me to be confirmed from the windows user account control.
After that, all my monitor captures in OBS stop working. Also adding a new monitor capture source does not show the screen. They only work again after restarting OBS.
The logfile may show it, I opened my Chatbot and the monitor capture sources stopped recording. I hope you can help me to fix my problem.

Greets,
Lala :)

Attachments

• 2019-10-06 18-19-24.txt
    174.1 KB · Views: 104

koala

I've written about the kind of setup in the past:
You are fighting against some basic fullscreen capture and Windows fullscreen mechanics and issues. I cannot tell in detail what you you have to change in your sources, but I will explain what will work and what things you must not do. [...]
  • you must not have multiple sources capturing the same monitor fullscreen. For example, you must not have multiple display capture sources for the same monitor. You also must not have a display capture source and a game capture source that is configured to capture the game fullscreen. Multiple fullscreen game or display captures that result in capturing the same monitor stomp on each other and only one of these randomly get the images, while the others stay black.

I see you have many game captures. If any two of them them are configured as "capture any fullscreen application", they all stomp on each other, as well as with any display capture sources for the main monitor. Explicitly configure the game *.exe to avoid the source looking for a capture when the game isn't started. The option "capture specific window" where you select the *.exe will still grab the game when it goes fullscreen. Or the other way round: remove every game capture and keep one universal capture with the option "capture any fullscreen application" that simply works for every game as soon as it goes fullscreen.

Organize yourself so that you disable any sources you don't currently intend to use, especially every inactive game capture source. In addition, I see that you have multiple display capture sources [...] These must not point to the same monitor. Remove them. Own display captures for multiple monitors are ok, but only 1 for each monitor.

If you need the captures in multiple scenes, add additional sources with the "add existing" option instead of "add new". With "add existing", you create references to the original capture, not new captures. [...] If you need to add cropped versions of the same monitor, don't use the crop filter (it's global) but instead hold the ALT-Key and drag the handles of the source. This can be used with each reference individually and is not global as the crop filter.

• Proposal: you seem to have a somewhat convoluted scene and source setup. Start a completely new setup (create a new scene collection) and build it by add sources and scenes one by one and see what works and what will break things.
  • Don't generally start OBS as administrator. Only few specific games need OBS as administrator to enable it to capture. If starting OBS as administrator doesn't solve an issue you might have, stop starting OBS as administrator.