Question / Help Minimum / Suggested Build for Dedicated Video Source Streaming Rig?

iancofino

Hey all,

I'm looking for a dedicated machine that will solely exist to continuously stream a VLC video source in 1080p 60FPS.

Does anyone have suggestions as to what build I should go with? It'd be great to buy a small, pre-built rig, but I'm definitely open to building my own if the savings are good.

I'm looking for the cheapest possible option here, as I will only be using this machine for this purpose.

Thanks!

FerretBomb

OBS is not appropriate for this; it's meant as a live production tool, not a video jukebox. Look into nginx-rtmp or the RED5 RTMP servers, they'll be much more suited to your desired application, and have MUCH lower hardware requirements (I know someone who is running a video jukebox off a raspberry pi, for example).

If you still want/need OBS for some reason, look into an nVidia 1650 Super, a semi-modern i5, and 8GB RAM. Also a Windows license of course. Looking at around $500-700 depending, plus the cost of power to run it.
If you're just looking to do something like get a security camera on the web, this is massive overkill, there are much cheaper non-OBS solutions.

iancofino

Thanks FerretBomb, wasn't aware of those options. I've started looking into alternatives. Appreciate the response.