Minimize program instead of close/exit

Michael33

It would be great if OBS would have an option in settings to minimize window to tray icon area when user would press CLOSE/EXIT button (red button X on the top).
Many great softwares have this function so that the user doesn't exit software by mistake.

Jack0r

The Helping Squad
I guess this is meant as feedback for the MP version of OBS?
The original OBS already has the option to minimize to tray. Although not on close (because then its closed)...

dodgepong

Administrator
Forum Admin
Personally I think the concept of minimizing on close is stupid. The X button should close the program. Doing something besides closing the program when pressing the X button is bad UX and goes counter to standard convention.

Michael33

Many great softwares have this option and I got used to it, having them just in tray.
Plus I wasted my effort when I thought OBS is running and wanted to record screen with a hotkey.

Syndicate

Well, it depends. I would like it if there was a toggle that allows to to send it to tray or not, because I dont really like having it in my taskbar

Matthew Niemeier

upload_2016-4-13_11-24-10.png

VLC and μTorrent (out of tons of others I normally use) have this function, which I find perfect. In the settings you could have it so it either closes (default) when you click the exit button or minimizes to the Notification Area (System Tray.) I can actually virtualize OPS to function like a service entirely with http://www.coretechnologies.com/products/AlwaysUp/, but this is obviously not the preferred method and switching back and forth between the desktop and the command line for Switch To Session 0 can be annoying.
It'd be a wonderful program functionality for completely hiding the application for recording purposes. Of course there are other ways, but this is rather useful.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/975785 (the terms system tray and taskbar are improperly interchanged sometimes.)