Question / Help Mid-2014 Macbook Pro Heating

GravityBeatle

Hello,

I have a mid-2014 Macbook pro with OBS installed. However, when I open OBS, my computer overheats and puts its fans on like crazy. And I should emphasize this: I am only opening OBS and setting a display capture. I don't have my capture card plugged in, I am not streaming, I am not recording. I found an old article here: https://obsproject.com/forum/threads/best-settings-for-macbook-pro-overheating-and-lag.55743/ that stated to switch to Apple VT H264 Hardware Encoder, which I did, but it did not seem to help. I downloaded the most recent version of OBS to make sure it wasn't a problem with the old version, and the overheating is still there. I need to know whether or not my computer simply isn't powerful enough to use OBS, or if I'm doing something wrong and can fix this with a simple settings change. If it helps, I have an Intel Core i5 Processor with 2.6 GHz speed, and two total cores.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I also can't upload a log file since I can't run OBS for more than a minute. If you need any more information just let me know. Thanks!

Narcogen

Does OBS crash?

Is a minute not long enough to grab a logfile? OBS makes one every time it runs, you can find them here:

~/Library/Application Support/obs-studio/logs

GravityBeatle

Does OBS crash?

Is a minute not long enough to grab a logfile? OBS makes one every time it runs, you can find them here:

~/Library/Application Support/obs-studio/logs

My apologies, I wasn't looking in the right spot. I've attached the most recent log to this comment. Also, OBS doesn't crash; I merely quit out of it due to the overheating.

Attachments

• 2019-01-25 18-03-14.txt
    8.9 KB · Views: 31

Narcogen

There's no recording or streaming session in the log, which makes it difficult to judge what's happening since there's no performance information.

I might suggest lowering your base resolution to something closer to your intended output resolution. That combined with multiple different display capture sources can negatively impact performance on a machine that does not have a strong GPU.