Microphone adjusting Volume Automatically

Dranus

Hi all!

I have been using OBS for a little bit now, and so far really enjoying the possibilities with OBS, but I have an issue with my mic that I cannot fix it seems so I am hoping anyone here can help me!

I have had a problem in the past with some buzzing sounds through my KRK Rokit 5 speakers, especially when I was recording. To fix this, I have bought a soundcard. The Asus Xonar SE. Since then, The buzzing sounds are gone and the sound quality has increased by a huge amount. Im now using my soundcard for my main 'line-out' and 'mic/line in', so not using the standard soundcard on the motherboard anymore. Please note that this buzzing sound was always happening, not only during recording.

The problem I have is when recording with my microphone during any video/game/other things. The volume of my voice will fluctuate on the recording, even when I am not changing any settings during it. The Mic will sound very clear and good at one moment and the next moment it can happen that my voice in the recording is almost not hearable. It will swap back and forth between good volume and very silent during any recording.

Now I have noticed that friends say that my voice on discord also sometimes is fading away and way in the background. Most of the time it will fix it when I talk really loud in the mic for 2 seconds so it will 'register' my voice again. According to this, it seems a problem with an auto gain or something like that.

The volume of my speakers or sound is never fluctuating, only my recorded voice.

Would really appriciate some insights and maybe a solution, hope any of you can help me!

Cheers,

Suslik V

Normalization. This features (to automatically adjust volume) in sound cards are named Audio Normalization. You may try to turn it off (if you find any in control panel of the OS or in manual to your device).

Dranus

Thanks for the reply!

Sadly I am not using any software for the card, and I cant find anything related to it on my windows 10. So I dont have any way to turn it 'on' or 'off'

Furthermore, the Audio Normalization should also effect the overal output of my sounds right? Everything works like a charm, the only problem is my recorded voice that is going from very silent to normal. All the other sounds (from games/music etc) are fine.

I have tested multiple microphones, and this doesnt make any difference.
Also, the problem is not consistent. It does occur more when there are a lot of sounds in the played game/video. I am using my microphone as a 'standalone' one, so my sound is still comming from my speakers instead of the headset for example. Maybe it has something to do with this.

Hope you can help me some more :)

cheers,

Suslik V

...Normalization should also effect the overal output of my sounds right?
No, it is simple effect build into the driver and it applies per device (mix, line-in, stereo mix, SPDIF, HDMI output etc) on demand.

You may try to install manufacturer's software to find the features that you didn't found from brief sight.

Are you testing only in OBS? What if try to record mic sound, let's say in Audacity v3.0.2 or in other program?