Mic audio cuts out in random parts of my sentence

ThatSameer

Hi,

This is my first post on this forum so please let me know any info needed and i'll try my best to collate it.

Logs:

I've been investigating this issue in such detail for the past 48 hours.

My mic audio keeps cutting out in random parts of a sentence e.g. "Hello my na----- and to----- and my cat is --------"

A very long story short, I've narrowed it down to the first launch of OBS, records okay. But subsequent recordings in OBS causes my mic to start doing the cutting out business.

I've temporarily attached a zip file of 2 recordings to my google drive. The first one is the first recording after launching OBS. The 2nd video is doing another recording in the same session after the 1st. You will notice the 2nd recording 2 random parts of my sentence goes off. It really happens at randoms parts and intervals. Sometimes could be more times in a sentence.

My Windows settings, I've unchecked the exclusive options, i've also matched the bitrate of the Mic in OBS.

Please, if there's any additional tests you would like me to do I will be more than happy to do so as this issue is making me go crazy now.

Last edited:

carlmmii

What mic is it, and if it's an external mic, how is it actually attached to your computer?

Go to windows settings -> system -> sound -> Sound Control Panel, and click on the recording tab. Open the properties of your microphone. If you could, post screenshots of each tab.

If you have a tab that has AGC, turn this off. This is Auto-Gain Control, and it aggressively tries to normalize microphone audio levels, and may be what is causing your issues.

ThatSameer

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

Screenshots attached.

I'm using HyperX Cloud Stinger.
I'm connected via 3.5mm to HP Universal Dock > Which is connected to my mobo via USB type C (https://store.hp.com/UKStore/Merch/Product.aspx?id=3DV65AA&opt=ABU&sel=ACC)

I don't see an AGC tab.

I'm planning to buy a 3.5mm splitter so I can connect directly to my MOBO to see if I can rule out hardware.
Although I dont understand why it would work the first time but not in subsequent recordings with current hardware?

Attachments

• Pictures.zip
    54.5 KB · Views: 354

carlmmii

Do you by chance have any other programs open that are accessing your microphone?

I've run into an issue previously where Discord will take control of the actual windows level of the microphone, affecting my volume in OBS. (fixed by changing the windows default microphone to a different device)

ThatSameer

As far as I can see, only OBS is accessing the mic since I've closed all programs and also the helpful Windows mic logo in the system tray tells me when and what is using the mic.

I've ordered a 3.5mm splitter... Will test when it comes early next week.

dangerthegodson

this also happened to me, but with push to talk involved so idk if its the same. I hold my push to talk consistently and test it by reading something out and it cuts out irregularly which is really strange because i never had the problem before. although i did reinstall obs studio after accidentally deleting a files in the program files that was necessary, thus needing to reinstall entirely, does this mean my computer now prioritizes other things over obs or something of that sort? i never had the problem during older installation of OBS. I also installed OWN3D custom overlays, which added a lot of media sources, that could be why its having that conflict??

FitNixPro

As far as I can see, only OBS is accessing the mic since I've closed all programs and also the helpful Windows mic logo in the system tray tells me when and what is using the mic.

I've ordered a 3.5mm splitter... Will test when it comes early next week.
Hi. Did you solve this issue? I've been using OBS to stream for almost 2 years now & have just started having the exact same problem you describe. The last 3 weeks it's been happening & it's driving me mad!!!

CherrioSnatcher

I have been encountering a similar issue, I am using a wireless headset though. It also only occurs when recording a game. I have recoded my home screen and Chrome and seem to have no issue. I have noticed that windows is randomly switching my audio outputs while recording games. I have disabled all but one Mic Input and one Audio Output, both set as default as well, also only have the mic enabled and set as default in recording tab in Windows Sound Settings. Even then Windows will lose all off them and say I have no audio outputs or inputs during recording. I am using a SteelSeries Artics 7 if that helps.

this also happened to me, but with push to talk involved so idk if its the same. I hold my push to talk consistently and test it by reading something out and it cuts out irregularly which is really strange because i never had the problem before. although i did reinstall obs studio after accidentally deleting a files in the program files that was necessary, thus needing to reinstall entirely, does this mean my computer now prioritizes other things over obs or something of that sort? i never had the problem during older installation of OBS. I also installed OWN3D custom overlays, which added a lot of media sources, that could be why its having that conflict??
Hello, I'm having this problem right now, were you ever able to solve it? I also use ptt and recently it started cutting off mid-sentence or doesn't register my voice at all.

mopotofu

Happens to me as well. But i noticed its only when i open up my webcam too(logictech c920) with logitech capture. Also whenever i use my bluetooth headphone, when the cut off occurs my headphone disconnects as well. But audio also cuts off when im not using my headphone so pretty sure its not my headphone. The cut off happens the most when i'm recording myself editing in premier pro maybe because it uses more power? But when i turn off the logitech capture app everything is smooth. When cut off occurs my premier pro playback chops a little bit too

duendemago

Hello, I just found this thread. Not sure if this is going to help anybody. I tried with Nvidia Broadcast and without it, so the problem was clearly from OBS side. What I did to get rid of that strange cuts I went to: Settings - Audio and from there I changed an option called something like "Decay Speed" (I have it in spanish), so I change it to slow and voilá. Now you will see the sound bar from the mic go down much slower and the cuts are fixed for now.

Vodi

Hi I fixed this issue and i made an account just to answer this. Im using the HyperX Cloud Stinger Core and i was having this issue. The way i fixed it was simply by plugging headset into my PC using my USB C cord, turning it from a wireless connection to a wired connection. This completely fixed the problem and my mic isnt cutting out at all anymore. OBS just doesn't like wireless headphones i guess.