Bug Report Memory leak when viewing properties

Drenn

Whenever I select the "Properties" for any kind of component, OBS starts slowly but steadily eating up memory. Even after closing the properties window it'll continue eating memory. I've had an issue where the computer mysteriously becomes unresponsive for no apparent reason, and I assume it's because obs has used up all my available memory. Using build 0.10.1-156-g4725641.

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
Someone else said something similar, but I haven't been able to replicate. What distro and distro version? And how did you install obs?

I feel like it may be a problem with out-of-date Qt packages on certain distros.

Drenn

Distro is Arch Linux, I installed it through the Arch User Repository (not aur4). I kinda doubt that my qt packages would be out of date, but I'll check on it once I have access to my PC again.

The last time I updated I was on v0.11 exactly and the issue persisted.

Last edited:

Drenn

Code:
$ pacman -Qi qt5-base
Version        : 5.5.0-1

Issue persists as of updating obs to 0.11.1.r47.g66f7330. After rapidly opening/closing a bunch of property windows I've got it eating something like 4 megabytes every 2 seconds.

Last edited:

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
Okay finally was able to replicate. Thanks for pointing it out. Wasn't due to Qt, may actually be a bug in our linux OpenGL code.

Tostmann

Any news how to fix that?

I found its actually the second instance of OBSQTDisplay (Properties/Filters/Projectors or Previewscreen) causing the problem in render_display(). When finally

glXSwapBuffers(display, window);

is called each time memory will be eaten up until the hole process crashes. When you close the "display" memory eating does stop. Therefor you wont suffering just streaming, but as soon you permanently use a Projector or PreView - your have a problem.

Tried with i915 or radeon // Debian and Ubuntu - latest // precompiled or custom built obs

on 8 core i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00GHz

1Pete

I'm still having this issue with 0.13.2-1 (downloaded and built through AUR) on Arch Linux 4.4.1-2
Opening a properties window causes RAM usage to steadily rise. The more I open the faster it leaks.

Any commands I can run / logs I can attach to help fix this issue?

beniwtv

Same here, version 0.13.1-315~wily (seems to be the latest on the obsproject/obs-studio/ubuntu ppa.

rethus

Same Here :

Manjaro Linux <Kernel: 4.4.19-1-rt27-MANJARO>
XFCE, 12 GB RAM
OBS: 0.15.3-1

RAM consume all the ram after a few minutes.

ZeroLabs

FWIW, I have not had any memory leak problems with Xubuntu 16.04.1 and the stable or unstable PPA builds.

peko

I make an screencast with this leak behavior:

Update

I tried to update the intel-video drivers up to git version, and seems like it helps.

Last edited:

Muvvenby

I can confirm this issue still exists with OBS-studio 0.16.6-1 installed on Manjaro Linux from the Arch Community repositories.

Muvvenby

Just got an update to OBS-studio 17.0.0-1 (linux) and the memory leak after viewing the properties is now gone. At least on Manjaro Linux with kernel 4.9.2.

charja13

okay so i just built from scratch to test, i was looking around and found several other bugs same exact thing. After building i found the issue was solved somewhere in the commit history.

after building i monitored the memory usage and it was consuming a constant 52mb on idle after opening settings, on last version it started at 82 and went up

basically you have to either build yourself to get rid of the bug or wait for the next update

09:09:04 PM.477: Processor: 4 logical cores
09:09:04 PM.478: Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4200M CPU @ 2.50GHz
09:09:04 PM.478: Physical Memory: 7879MB Total
09:09:04 PM.478: Kernel Version: Linux 4.8.0-47-generic
09:09:04 PM.478: Distribution: "Ubuntu" "16.10"
09:09:04 PM.478: Portable mode: false
09:09:04 PM.503: OBS 18.0.1-51-g41731bb (linux)

Fenrir

Forum Admin
Most of the packages available are not maintained by us. Only the Launchpad PPA for Ubuntu is, and that is currently out of date due to the person managing it leaving for other obligations. It's being worked on, and Linux builds should start being updated again soon.

In the meantime, it's recommended to build from source.