Bug Report MediaSource crashes

ligustah

Note: I will add logs sometime later, for now I'd just like to know if there are known problems around what I'm trying to do, also I tagged this as "Question / Help", because I think there might be a better way to go about this setup.

Hey there,

I've been playing around with the Multiplatform version of OBS and I'm trying to realize a somewhat complex streaming setup, so please bear with me while I explain it before going into the problems I encountered. I don't think there is a (free) out of the box solution for this. This is a diagram of my current setup:
BKeM4gC.png

Basically, I have two computers that each have two instances of OBS running to independently stream two sources from each computer. They both send their video streams to another computer in the same network running NGINX with the RTMP module on Ubuntu. On that Linux computer I'm also running a single instance of OBS that uses MediaSources to combine the four streams into one with a few scenes to vary the layout.

Now while implementing this, I ran into some peculiar issues (peculiar, because I'm having a hard time reliably reproducing them).
  • The video stream would sometimes only use the video OR the sound
  • In some configurations, OBS would crash instantly when starting the stream playback
  • Both of the above seemed to be somewhat related to the stream resolution of the source
  • Sometimes the stream wouldn't restart playback when one of the source streams were restarted (re-applying the settings for the MediaSource would usually fix this)
  • There were some random crashes in between playback
So I'd like to know if there are known incompatibilities with the components I'm using, or if the MediaSource is flaky in general. I'm not too much into C/C++ and media stuff, but if someone could give me a pointer to how I provide good debug information I can surely do that.

Thanks in advance and thanks for the cool software!

Greetings,
André

ligustah

So I've been looking a little more into this. With the help of Reboot on IRC, I managed to get a stack trace for the issue:
https://gist.github.com/anonymous/7236354588186ce47ef5 (not sure if I correctly disabled the optimisations during compilation, in case that is important)

Interestingly, it seems to be somehow related to the resolution of the stream. Both Windows computers shown in the diagram above use 16:10 monitors at 1680 x 1050, while the output stream on the Linux computer is set to 16:9 at 1920 x 1080. If I have OBS downscale the resolution on the Windows computers to 1344x840 it works perfectly fine and can easily render all four media sources.

I changed the thread prefix to Bug Report, because I assume that is not the intended behavior.

Greetings,
André

Therealbeef

I am so happy you did such a fantastic job documenting this. My setup is very similar and I am experiencing the exact same issue with regard to the "Restart playback when source becomes active" not working on the RTMP feed. I need to switch scenes, deactivate the RTMP media in the originating feed, then go back to the scene with the RTMP feed and reactivate it... sometimes it works, other times not.

What I can add to this is that my setup includes only 2 RTMP feeds from different computers, and still have the issue. They are feeding at different resolutions, but the resolutions of the RTMP feeds are already less than what the host OBS is set to, so your solution of reducing resolution to fix this issue does not work here... unless I am reading that wrong.

What can I do to help with this bug?