Max. amount of USB-camera's limited to 3/4?

Ploxinatous

Hi all,

Question regarding the amount of camera devices I'm able to use during DJ-livestreams when using OBS:

I've noticed that on both my laptop and desktop computer, both W10, I'm limited to a max. amount of 3 to sometimes 4 USB-camera devices. This includes DSLR's (connected through HDMI-capture cards) and USB-webcams.

Is this due to general limitations of PCI USB-ports or OBS itself?

My setup is the following:
1. Mirrorless camera connected with USB set to 1280x720x30fps
2. DSLR camera connected with USB set to 1280x720x30fps
3. Webcam (C922) connected with USB set to 1280x720x30fps
Now adding anything else will cause the fourth camera to glitch out (both DSLR or webcams) on both my laptop and desktop, even though my dekstop is superior in every way and has far more USB slots compared to my laptop.

Using USB-hubs won't make a difference.

Are there any ways to add even more devices? Or would this require a switch for example?

Thanks!

Lawrence_SoCal

Issue is CPU, Chipset and USB Root Hub... probably coincidence that both laptop and desktop hitting limit at same time.
Adding hubs but routing via same USB path wouldn't be expected to help

there are numerous threads in this forum on the hardware throughput limitation you are running into in your specific devices. Other computers can/would have different limits, different number and configuration of USB ports, etc
Search on USB Root Hub to find those conversations
Which specific ports on your desktop you use may make a difference (depends on motherboard)

Adding an USB card is one way to add a new USB Root Hub, with alternate bus/PCIe path to CPU
The other common workaround is to use something like the Atem Mini to act as video switcher so computer doesn't have to