macOS Screen Capture (BETA)

bidwells13

Recently I had to change to way I use OBS to live stream our church services. I had surgery and can’t run multiple devices at once and don’t have the help I need. I have a presentation of the bulletin that shows the hymn lyrics and readings that I display on screens in the sanctuary and on the live stream. I found the macOS Screen Sharing Source that made it easier for me to do both. My desktop crashed and had to install a new hard drive which updated my OS to 12.7. I looked online and it said that the MacOS Screen share is for 12.3-12.6 without audio and 13 with audio. Did OBS leave 12.7 out of the screen share function?

KUCTech

Hello bidwells13: I can't comment on your question about MacOS Screen Sharing/OBS version dependencies, but I can relate my experience with screen sharing, in case you find it useful.

If I read your description correctly, your setup may be similar to the configuration we are running in our church - we have one computer running the sanctuary screens presentation (Keynote, hymn lyrics, announcements, etc), and another computer running the live stream. Until a few months ago both these computers were iMac/MacOS (don't recall which OS version), so I was able to access the presentation screen from the live stream computer with the Mac Screen Sharing app.

Then I replaced the live stream iMac with a Windows 11 PC, so the Mac Screen Sharing app was no longer an option. I looked at a few approaches - NDI, VNC and physical connection. In our case the presentation computer and the live stream computer are close to each other, so the cleanest/easiest solution seemed to me to be the physical connection. Basically, I intercepted the cable going from the presentation computer to the sanctuary screens, and split it off into the live stream computer, where OBS recognizes it as a Video Input.

I hope this helps. . .
--

bidwells13

Hello bidwells13: I can't comment on your question about MacOS Screen Sharing/OBS version dependencies, but I can relate my experience with screen sharing, in case you find it useful.

If I read your description correctly, your setup may be similar to the configuration we are running in our church - we have one computer running the sanctuary screens presentation (Keynote, hymn lyrics, announcements, etc), and another computer running the live stream. Until a few months ago both these computers were iMac/MacOS (don't recall which OS version), so I was able to access the presentation screen from the live stream computer with the Mac Screen Sharing app.

Then I replaced the live stream iMac with a Windows 11 PC, so the Mac Screen Sharing app was no longer an option. I looked at a few approaches - NDI, VNC and physical connection. In our case the presentation computer and the live stream computer are close to each other, so the cleanest/easiest solution seemed to me to be the physical connection. Basically, I intercepted the cable going from the presentation computer to the sanctuary screens, and split it off into the live stream computer, where OBS recognizes it as a Video Input.

I hope this helps. . .
--
Thank you. Your comment knocked something loose and gave me an idea to try. Our front screens are connected to an appletv that we connect wirelessly and one in the back for the pastor to see that is connected with hdmi. Our church is dwindling and are barely able to pay the bills so we have one Mac mini and I bring my personal laptop to run the screens and the Mac mini to run the live stream.

KUCTech

Hi bidswell13: I can certainly sympathize with your financial situation - I think many of us are in the same situation these days. Fortunately we inherited a fairly robust tech infrastructure from better times, but it is still difficult to upgrade and acquire newer equipment, especially computer related. It sounds like you have cobbled together something that works, so I hope you can resolve the screen sharing issue.

Regards. . .

Tony N.

bidwells13

Hi bidswell13: I can certainly sympathize with your financial situation - I think many of us are in the same situation these days. Fortunately we inherited a fairly robust tech infrastructure from better times, but it is still difficult to upgrade and acquire newer equipment, especially computer related. It sounds like you have cobbled together something that works, so I hope you can resolve the screen sharing issue.

Regards. . .

Tony N.
Apparently when you upgrade your mac to 12.7 OBS doesn’t really work except for recording off a camera and getting audio. I usually put the bulletin on the screen for those watching to follow along especially with the hymns. None of the settings will allow me to do that now. I wish OBS had better tech support.

KUCTech

Hello bidwells13: I am no longer using a MacOS system for live streaming, but it seems odd that a single release in the middle of a series would be unsupported. Is there a dependency between the 2 systems that has been interrupted by your forced install of 12.7 on one of them?

Also, as I was searching for information on screen sharing between Macs, I came across a video that describes screen sharing via Messages and iCloud. It looks like it ends up invoking the same Screen Sharing app, but it might be something to try if nothing else is working.

And if none of this works, I would look to whether NDI could be an option for you in this case.

Cheers. . .