macOS 10.15 Catalina Support Status

Status
Not open for further replies.

StiffGoat

My problem is OBS crashing while in use. I can't add any overlays to my stream because it makes it crash even faster. I had everything setup to do my first stream & OBS will crash from using up too much RAM. Even if I upgrade my RAM it will just make it take longer to crash.

wmfazrul

The latest version of OBS Studio, 24.0.6, has now been released and should work on macOS 10.15 Catalina. You can download it here: https://obsproject.com/download

You should not need to do any of the previous workarounds anymore. It should work as a regular Mac app. That said, you will likely need to grant the app permission to capture the screen, cameras, and microphones, though the program should prompt you to do so. If it does not, you can grant permissions manually in your Security and Privacy settings.

The newest version of macOS, 10.15 "Catalina", is now available. However, OBS Studio is currently not yet fully compatible with it. These issues stem from a change to the way Catalina handles permissions for things such as capturing webcams and microphones. For example, if you have a webcam capture in one of your scenes, OBS will crash. We are currently working on a fix.

Users currently have two options for running OBS on Catalina right now:

Option 1: Download and run the test build

This is a test build that we have put together that reorganizes the application package in a way more compatible with Catalina. Please help us test this version and let us know if you encounter any issues with it. We hope to have a formal release soon.

Important notes about this build:
  • This build is not signed, so the first time you open it, macOS may complain and not let you open it. If you can't open OBS, right-click on the icon and click "Open", and the pop-up should have an "Open" option available to open the program anyway.
  • The updater may not work correctly, so you will likely need to manually download the full update later when it comes out. However, this should work for many of you at least as a stop-gap so you at least have something working.
  • The install process has changed. Now when you open the .dmg file, you simply need to drag the OBS.app file into your Applications folder to install.
Download the test release here: http://obsproject.com/downloads/obs-24.0.3-installer-catalina-fix-02.dmg

Option 2: Run OBS manually from the Terminal

If you want to run the normal release, you will likely need to run OBS via the Terminal. Open the Terminal app and type the following:

Code:
open /Applications/OBS.app/Contents/MacOS/OBS --args -picture

NOTE: When you run OBS from the Terminal this way, and attempt to add things such as webcam capture or display capture, the Terminal will ask for these permissions instead of OBS. If so, be sure to grant those permissions to the Terminal to ensure functionality in OBS.

Important Notes

Permissions for Display Capture, Microphone, and Cameras

If you are trying to capture your display, microphone, or a camera on Catalina, you should get a pop-up asking to grant permission to OBS to allow it to do so. However, it seems that some users are not getting this pop-up. If you are having trouble with any of these things, you may need to manually grant OBS these permissions.

To do so, go to Preferences > Security & Privacy > Privacy, then under the entries for "Screen Recording", "Camera", and "Microphone", ensure that OBS is checked. Note that if you are running OBS from the Terminal, you may need to grant these permissions to the Terminal as well (unconfirmed).

Note about the NDI plugin:

For those of you using the third-party NDI plugin, you may need to run the following three commands from the Terminal in order to get it working:
Bash:
sudo install_name_tool -change @rpath/QtWidgets @executable_path/../Frameworks/QtWidgets.framework/Versions/5/QtWidgets /Library/Application\ Support/obs-studio/plugins/obs-ndi/bin/obs-ndi.so

sudo install_name_tool -change @rpath/QtGui @executable_path/../Frameworks/QtGui.framework/Versions/5/QtGui /Library/Application\ Support/obs-studio/plugins/obs-ndi/bin/obs-ndi.so

sudo install_name_tool -change @rpath/QtCore @executable_path/../Frameworks/QtCore.framework/Versions/5/QtCore /Library/Application\ Support/obs-studio/plugins/obs-ndi/bin/obs-ndi.so
Thank you. Really appreciate it.

canitb

Hi there, I'm still on Mojave. A bit sceptic installing Catalina yet due to the OBS issues. Is there anything yet to be fixed here.. or is this completely fixed now? I'm using window capture and saw a few people saying that this was an issue with the new version.. ?

NiccoloGranieri

@canitb I had to stop trying because OBS kept crashing. I tried everything. I ended up having to use a friend's Lenovo running Windows to record some online classes I had to make for work.

Warzmech

The latest version of OBS Studio, 24.0.6, has now been released and should work on macOS 10.15 Catalina. You can download it here: https://obsproject.com/download

You should not need to do any of the previous workarounds anymore. It should work as a regular Mac app. That said, you will likely need to grant the app permission to capture the screen, cameras, and microphones, though the program should prompt you to do so. If it does not, you can grant permissions manually in your Security and Privacy settings.

The newest version of macOS, 10.15 "Catalina", is now available. However, OBS Studio is currently not yet fully compatible with it. These issues stem from a change to the way Catalina handles permissions for things such as capturing webcams and microphones. For example, if you have a webcam capture in one of your scenes, OBS will crash. We are currently working on a fix.

This is a test build that we have put together that reorganizes the application package in a way more compatible with Catalina. Please help us test this version and let us know if you encounter any issues with it. We hope to have a formal release soon.

• This build is not signed, so the first time you open it, macOS may complain and not let you open it. If you can't open OBS, right-click on the icon and click "Open", and the pop-up should have an "Open" option available to open the program anyway.
  • The updater may not work correctly, so you will likely need to manually download the full update later when it comes out. However, this should work for many of you at least as a stop-gap so you at least have something working.
  • The install process has changed. Now when you open the .dmg file, you simply need to drag the OBS.app file into your Applications folder to install.
Download the test release here: http://obsproject.com/downloads/obs-24.0.3-installer-catalina-fix-02.dmg

If you want to run the normal release, you will likely need to run OBS via the Terminal. Open the Terminal app and type the following:

Code:

NOTE: When you run OBS from the Terminal this way, and attempt to add things such as webcam capture or display capture, the Terminal will ask for these permissions instead of OBS. If so, be sure to grant those permissions to the Terminal to ensure functionality in OBS.

Important Notes

If you are trying to capture your display, microphone, or a camera on Catalina, you should get a pop-up asking to grant permission to OBS to allow it to do so. However, it seems that some users are not getting this pop-up. If you are having trouble with any of these things, you may need to manually grant OBS these permissions.

To do so, go to Preferences > Security & Privacy > Privacy, then under the entries for "Screen Recording", "Camera", and "Microphone", ensure that OBS is checked. Note that if you are running OBS from the Terminal, you may need to grant these permissions to the Terminal as well (unconfirmed).

For those of you using the third-party NDI plugin, you may need to run the following three commands from the Terminal in order to get it working:
Bash:
sudo install_name_tool -change @rpath/QtWidgets @executable_path/../Frameworks/QtWidgets.framework/Versions/5/QtWidgets /Library/Application\ Support/obs-studio/plugins/obs-ndi/bin/obs-ndi.so

sudo install_name_tool -change @rpath/QtGui @executable_path/../Frameworks/QtGui.framework/Versions/5/QtGui /Library/Application\ Support/obs-studio/plugins/obs-ndi/bin/obs-ndi.so

sudo install_name_tool -change @rpath/QtCore @executable_path/../Frameworks/QtCore.framework/Versions/5/QtCore /Library/Application\ Support/obs-studio/plugins/obs-ndi/bin/obs-ndi.so

Im still having issues with screen capture; OBS opens with out crashing but will not display any game play in OBS or Twitch. Any advice?

Aidswayz

Hi -- so I just spoke with Apple and they say that the latest version of Catalina -- 10.15.3 was just dropped 3 days ago. I've tried installing this plugin and I'm still getting the error message about OBS NDI Plugin not working. Has anyone developed a patch for 15.3? Thank you for any information you can share with me!

arslan_pm10

I'm having an issue with OBS flickering when its on screen capture and was wondering if anyone has had a similar issue and knows how to fix the issue.

chris kovaz

Code:

Important Notes

Bash:

Hello i was able to use this earlier today but now im having issues running the new obs everytime i try to add a browser or anything it stalls out and the application doesn't respond. Do I need to set any setting so that the new obs will run correctly or is it possible my mac cant support it anymore.

chris kovaz

Code:

Important Notes

Bash:

does anyone know the minmium requirement to run the new obs it was working fine when i was working with stream elements earlier now i cant add any broswers or anything anyone able to help me?

maxlynch

On Catalina and had a ton of crashes on OBS on a stream I just did. Narrowed it down to the Mac password manager or 1password getting in the way. Whenever I would test an HTML login form in Chrome or Safari it would immediately crash. If I avoided doing that it worked fine. Hope that's helpful.

Still experiencing issues with window capture on 24.0.6 on Catalina 10.15. OBS asked permissions and permission is granted in Security and Privacy for both screen capture and audio capture. Audio capture works fine but window capture will not work. Minecraft shows up as "java(null)" and can be selected but will not display anything.

"The latest version of OBS Studio, 24.0.6, has now been released and should work on macOS 10.15 Catalina. You can download it here: https://obsproject.com/download

You should not need to do any of the previous workarounds anymore. It should work as a regular Mac app. That said, you will likely need to grant the app permission to capture the screen, cameras, and microphones, though the program should prompt you to do so. If it does not, you can grant permissions manually in your Security and Privacy settings."

pdaquick

I have tried to follow the terminal workaround and try to uninstall and reinstall few times..but seemed like still not able to run the OBS. It is just the mac build in Cam light on and then got a quit expectedly. The following is the message I see in terminal. (When I frist install, it run fine and after I tried to do few setting.) And keep getting all these errors. I would really appreciate for your advice on this. Thanks.

info: CPU Name: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4278U CPU @ 2.60GHz

info: CPU Speed: 2600MHz

info: Physical Cores: 2, Logical Cores: 4

info: Physical Memory: 8192MB Total

info: OS Name: Mac OS X (NSMACHOperatingSystem)

info: OS Version: Version 10.12.6 (Build 16G2136)

info: Kernel Version: 16.7.0

info: hotkeys-cocoa: Using layout 'com.apple.keylayout.US'

info: Portable mode: false

QMetaObject::connectSlotsByName: No matching signal for on_advAudioProps_clicked()

QMetaObject::connectSlotsByName: No matching signal for on_advAudioProps_destroyed()

QMetaObject::connectSlotsByName: No matching signal for on_program_customContextMenuRequested(QPoint)

info: OBS 24.0.6 (mac)

info: ---------------------------------

info: audio settings reset:

samples per sec: 44100

speakers: 2

info: Initializing OpenGL...

info: Loading up OpenGL on adapter Intel Inc. Intel Iris OpenGL Engine

info: OpenGL loaded successfully, version 4.1 INTEL-10.25.24, shading language 4.10

info: video settings reset:

base resolution: 1280x800

output resolution: 1280x800

downscale filter: Bicubic

fps: 30/1

format: NV12

YUV mode: 601/Partial

info: NV12 texture support not available

info: Audio monitoring device:

name: 默认

id: default

warning: Failed to load 'en-US' text for module: 'decklink-ouput-ui.so'

error: os_dlopen(libpython3.7m.dylib->libpython3.7m.dylib): dlopen(libpython3.7m.dylib, 257): image not found

warning: [Python] Could not load library: libpython3.7m.dylib

info: No blackmagic support

info: [VideoToolbox encoder]: Adding VideoToolbox H264 encoders

info: [obs-browser]: Version 2.7.16

error: os_dlopen(/Applications/VLC.app/Contents/MacOS/lib/libvlccore.dylib->/Applications/VLC.app/Contents/MacOS/lib/libvlccore.dylib): dlopen(/Applications/VLC.app/Contents/MacOS/lib/libvlccore.dylib, 257): image not found

info: Couldn't find VLC installation, VLC video source disabled

info: Loaded Modules:

info: vlc-video.so

info: text-freetype2.so

info: rtmp-services.so

info: obs-x264.so

info: obs-vst.so

info: obs-transitions.so

info: obs-outputs.so

info: obs-libfdk.so

info: obs-filters.so

info: obs-ffmpeg.so

info: obs-browser.so

info: mac-vth264.so

info: mac-syphon.so

info: mac-decklink.so

info: mac-capture.so

info: mac-avcapture.so

info: linux-jack.so

info: image-source.so

info: frontend-tools.so

info: decklink-ouput-ui.so

info: coreaudio-encoder.so

error: os_dlopen(../obs-plugins/obs-browser->../obs-plugins/obs-browser.so): dlopen(../obs-plugins/obs-browser.so, 257): image not found

info: ==== Startup complete ===============================================

info: Switched to Preview/Program mode

info: ------------------------------------------------

info: All scene data cleared

info: coreaudio: device 'iShowU Audio Capture' initialized

info: coreaudio: device 'iShowU Audio Capture' initialized

info: coreaudio: failed to find device uid: default, waiting for connection

info: coreaudio: no device found

info: 视频捕捉设备: Selected device 'FaceTime HD Camera'

info: 视频捕捉设备: Using preset 1280x720

info: adding 23 milliseconds of audio buffering, total audio buffering is now 23 milliseconds (source: 麦克风/Aux 2)

info: coreaudio: failed to find device uid: default, waiting for connection

info: coreaudio: no device found

info: Switched to scene '场景 2'

info: Loaded scenes:

info: - scene '场景 2':

Segmentation fault: 11

ed_newslett

Code:

Important Notes

Bash:

I have Catalina and my desktop is disabled in the audio settings of OBS and i don't hear anything form my desktop when i record

bowaikit

Yes, this is the issue. If OBS has no sources when you start it up, it will start normally. But if you add a webcam or microphone or display capture, it may crash unless you launched it from the Terminal.
So how can I fix this? I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling, but it doesn't help.

esbctech

Using OBS 24.0.6 on an iMac running Mac OSX 10.15.2.
We use a Blackmagic Design Intensity Shuttle with Thunderbolt.

For months this worked amazing, no issues whatsoever. Then summer 2018 we started getting random black frames flickering throughout the stream. It seems to only affect the Blackmagic layer in my OBS scenes. It never affects the lowerthirds or other layers in OBS. It does not affect the audio. The solution was to update OBS and the Blackmagic software (and OSX).

That worked until around Dec 2019. The random flickering returned and is intermittent.

I updated both OBS & Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle. I had to revert Blackmagic down one version because OBS would not recognize the Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle (even though Blackmagic claims it is compatible with Catalina).

There doesn't seem to be a trigger.
One week the flickering is there, the next week the stream is fine. Sometimes the flickering will be there for a few weeks in a row and other times it wont flicker at all. Sometimes the flickering is the entire stream. Sometimes the flickering will show up midway through a stream and disappear before its over.

Most recent flickering log file here: https://obsproject.com/logs/-GTD_IdkYmhKLs8o

Any help is appreciated.
Thank you.

jerinaw

macOS Catalina 10.15.3
The latest version of OBS Studio, 24.0.6 crashes when I launch if.
Odd thing is it runs fine from with in the dmg mount.

Is there a fix for this? It's crashing with some missing Qt "cocoa" something or other.

guidoguy

I'm running OBS version 24.0.6 (64 bit) on an iMac running Catalina, ver 10.15.3. So I don't have to add all the other apps or sound extensions to get OBS to work? The video is great but outdated and I get about 1/2 through and the button I am supposed to click on "Launch Syphoninject" is grey and can't be clicked on. Need help and an updated instructional video. Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.