MacBook Pro CPU Issues

Chexhuman

Hi, I have had a 2019 Macbook Pro for about 2 years, and it has been running OBS fairly well until the last few months. After starting stream, I've noticed that my game feed quickly becomes very choppy, and when I look at Activity Monitor, I often see OBS and kernel_task well over 100% CPU. What steps can I take to remedy this?

I'm into speedrunning, so capturing at a consistent 60 fps is important to me. Since I play retro games, bitrate is not very important - I'm currently at 2500 Kbps.

Here is a log from a quick recording (no stream): https://obsproject.com/logs/yEGRVC2pOufALwRt

Chexhuman

Okay, I've calmed my computer down by taking two steps. 1) I changed the preset for my video capture device from 1080 to 540. 2) I shut down my laptop overnight. Capture is not perfectly smooth, but it is in working order.

I am capturing with a Magewell USB Capture HDMI Plus. It has been very reliable, but it does require the computer to power it. In the future, I may consider switching from a laptop to a desktop for streaming.

TyronPC

Hey man, I have been facing the same issue with my OBS, I haven't found any solution yet.

Have you found one by any chance? This have been driving my crazy!! (I also have a MacBook Pro 2019)

jonlow

Try opening up the bottom of your case, and clean the fan. The dust that's trap in the fan will have the CPU heating up, hence throttling the CPU speed. Mine happened that way. When I clean the fan, my laptop works as new

djkaoz

HI friends. Same problem for me. I´m migrating from Macbook Pro I7 2016 OSx Catalina to a Macbook Pro I9 2019 OSx Ventura.
Same OBS Configuration with VSTs and so, working better on my old MacBook than the new one. The FPS fall to 10 fps, and the CPU Overload on the Activity Monitor. Some OBS incompatibility???