Question / Help [MAC] Stream is choppy w/ 0.8.2

Visual3volution

So this is my first time wanting to stream, and I've followed many tutorials on how to get OBS setup and whatnot. I've tested everything, and everything seems to work just fine until it comes to the quality of the stream. The stream is just very choppy (ie. NPC will be in one corner of the room, and then suddenly on the other side immediately) and I need some help in doing so. Hopefully someone with a Mac can inform me of what to do. The main game of which I want to stream does not require a lot of CPU usage (I think). I wanted to stream Runescape (OSRS or 2007Scape).

Specs:
iMac (21.5 inch, Mid 2011)
Processor: 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5
RAM: 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3
Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 6750M 512 MB

Visual3volution

https://gist.github.com/2854fe3c43f2f2380417

EDIT:

Now with the settings on the Mac, it's different than Windows.

Now I'm wanting to stream a specific game, Runescape, but having difficulties doing so.

The first and second windows are pretty simple.

200429c.png

bhaljk.png

Now with the third tab, "Output" it has advanced settings that I could adjust. Any help here or just keep it how it is?

2zyitc1.png

2s00kcj.png

The third tab has these options for the Encoder Preset:

6zu536.png

And here are the last 3 tabs:

2u4n5nq.png

25fug5f.png

34s19a0.png

Here is my speediest:

4158582939.png

And finally, here is my estimator for OBS:

xdi3h0.png

(if I turn screen-size down on Mac:)

dwxsns.png

Last edited:

keybounce

Advice:
1. Set your bitrate (output panel) DOWN. You have 3000 -- too high. If your upload speed is 1800, then set it no higher than 1200 (you can raise it up later if needed, but first make it work). Also, lower your audio bitrate -- 128 should be fine, 256 is overkill.
1b. For twitch, raise your reconnect delay -- twitch recommends 10 seconds, and having it be too low will result in twitch refusing the re-connect, thinking you are still connected and broadcasting.
2. Set your encoder setting from medium to ultra fast. Lower it LATER, after you have verified that things work.
3. If you change output mode to advanced, you have a setting for keyframe rate. Twitch wants keyframes no worse than every two seconds, and sadly, the simple mode will not give you that guarantee (even with a 20 fps, and an advanced parameter of keyint=13, which should give three keyframes in 39 frames (two seconds), I still get twitch complaining occasionally that my keyframes are not coming fast enough).
4. Don't try to send at 1080p. Drop down to 720p, or 480p. This will cut bandwidth used by about 1/3rd each time you drop the pixel count down by 1/4th.
5. Downscaling: Again, start with the simple one (I think it's "linear"). Twitch recommends that, and it will save CPU.

If your quality isn't good enough, then you can adjust things.

First: Have a twitch window open on your computer, so you can look at the playback stats. Pay attention to the buffering, latency, and dropped frame rates. If these get bad (in particular, if the buffer keeps running out, or latency goes up, or if bitrate or FPS wander too much), you've pushed twitch past what it can handle from you, and you want to back things off.

Spare CPU? Better downscaling, or better encoder setting. Warning -- I had spare CPU, went to better encoder, and the result was stuttering, playback buffering, etc, even with leftover CPU and bitrate. Apparently, OBS's encoder can't go above 100% (one core) even if your system has lots of spare cores.
Spare bandwith? Better bitrate, or resolution, or FPS -- and back off the instant you start seeing dropped frames on the transmission.

Visual3volution

With Output Mode set to Advanced on the Output tab, it gives me several things to adjust. On that same tab, there is a sub-tab called Streaming. This is what my screen looks like:

33cxl6t.png

2yo9yqf.png

What should I adjust these settings to? I'm not looking to necessarily record at this time. I can figure that out later.

Last edited:
"Advanced" output mode is to be used ONLY if you want to stream & to record at the same time with a set of parameters for each one. If you just want to stream, keep it "Simple" ! ;)