Mac developers in US? I want to send you a RME soundcard to make it work in OBS

Synthax

I work for the RME Audio distributor in the USA. You have many frustrated OBS users resorting to crazy workarounds like in the video below to use their RME sound card in OBS.

I am offering a loan or industry accommodation purchase of a Babyface Pro to someone responsible for Mac audio in OBS, so you can get things working directly with the RME CoreAudio driver. Let me know if interested.

Best regards,
Jeff Petersen
Technical Support

rjwittams

Hey. I've got a fork (locally) with changes to the core audio plugin that lets you select input channels.
Made it yesterday for my pioneer DJM 900 NXS2 - mixer out is on channels 9 and 10.
I'm in London though! I'm just putting it through its paces and making sure the UI makes sense.
I'll submit a PR soon.
It sounds like it might work for your issues too?

rjwittams

It is here if anyone wants to have a look.

I did the properties / UI in the first way that occurred to me
  • Boolean (checkbox) for each device input channel
  • A property group that contains these
  • Doing a bunch of callbacks on modifications to these to make sure that we can't put it into an invalid state
  • Displaying warnings via the default text of a disabled text property
Whatever is the number of channels that ends up selected we attempt to turn that into a speaker layout. 1-6, 8 are valid, 7 channels isn't.
However - the property group code seems to have some memory corruption issues somewhere, and doesn't seem to be used by any bundled plugins. Also you can't reorder the channels.

So having used it a bit I think the UI should be inverted - a series of combo boxes for each OBS channel (determined by the global speaker layout) with the device input channels selectable. This way you can duplicate channels and order them however you want.

Just now I looked at a video about the ASIO plugin on Windows (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnJvQaFWSK4) and it turns out that is what that plugin also does - so that would be good for consistency.

Also I need to see what happens with multiple input sources from the same core audio device (but with different channels). Eg multiple independent mic sources from one audio interface. I'll have to see what happens with my mixer (another real audio interface with a lot of channels to test with wouldn't go amiss).

I also am not sure how these changes should affect audio output devices as I haven't used them (only started using OBS last week) - does this mean capturing the output of a device as input? I thought this was the reason people used Audio hijack etc? Anyway I'll look into it...
Screenshot 2020-05-04 at 16.20.37.png

Screenshot 2020-05-04 at 16.34.20.png

Screenshot 2020-05-04 at 16.36.26.png

Mark Ludmer

Yes Yes Please Please! I have an RME Fireface UCX that consistently is dropped on my MacPro (2012) and MacBookPro (late 2013) as soon as OBS is opened. The driver seems to have some kind of conflict with OBS. Happened before I installed any workarounds patches. Let me know if there's anything I can do to help test (I'm not a coder so can't help on that end). I'm currently having to use an iShow patch, and run the audio line out back to the audio line in on the MacPro.

rjwittams

Hm , I doubt that is exactly the same issue (always using the first channels) but it could be some oddity of the core audio driver/behaviour. I guess the best thing would be to provide logs. Also what do you mean by "dropped"?

Mark Ludmer

I have retested with a new USB PCI card, and it doesn't drop. Drop, meaning it was like the cable was unplugged. This "drop" was only happening when OBS opened. Anyway, sorry for the confusion. That could have been a low quality USB cable or hub issue. Both my RME madiFX card and Fireface UCX are now recognized in OBS, but no audio at the OBS audio mixer... Hoping for a solution. Also, I will now try the workaround in the link provided by Jeff (RME) above.

Mark Ludmer

The work around above is working for me for both the RME FIreface UCX and the MADI FX card. (Using Ladiocast and Blackhole) THANK YOU!!
Screen Shot 2020-05-05 at 3.57.59 PM  reduced.jpg