Lower thirds

dodgepong

Administrator
Forum Admin
I was accepted to the beta, and I downloaded it and started playing around with it tonight. It looks pretty cool, but I have 2 concerns/obseravations.

1) It appears to assume that OBS Classic/Studio are always going to be in their standard paths, i.e. C:\Program Files\(OBS or obs-studio) and places the plugin files there, whether OBS is actually installed there or not. I have my OBS installed on my E: drive and had to move the plugins manually. This would be the case with anyone who installed OBS via the zips, or didn't otherwise install it to the default location.

2) This is the big one: It would appear that the plugin is currently in violation of the GPL2, unless you are willing to provide the source code for it, as well as instructions on how to obtain the source code alongside each distribution of the plugin. See here for details: https://www.gnu.org/licenses/old-licenses/gpl-2.0-faq.html#GPLAndPlugins

Also, I noticed a menu item under Settings called About NDI...are you using NDI to communicate with OBS?

Lilrex

I was accepted to the beta, and I downloaded it and started playing around with it tonight. It looks pretty cool, but I have 2 concerns/obseravations.

1) It appears to assume that OBS Classic/Studio are always going to be in their standard paths, i.e. C:\Program Files\(OBS or obs-studio) and places the plugin files there, whether OBS is actually installed there or not. I have my OBS installed on my E: drive and had to move the plugins manually. This would be the case with anyone who installed OBS via the zips, or didn't otherwise install it to the default location.

2) This is the big one: It would appear that the plugin is currently in violation of the GPL2, unless you are willing to provide the source code for it, as well as instructions on how to obtain the source code alongside each distribution of the plugin. See here for details: https://www.gnu.org/licenses/old-licenses/gpl-2.0-faq.html#GPLAndPlugins

Also, I noticed a menu item under Settings called About NDI...are you using NDI to communicate with OBS?
Please post this on the newblue forums

Fernando Reis

Hi all... isn't Google great?

I was curious regarding the use of NewBlueFX Titler Pro and OBS. This will work on any 'dual monitor' setup.

1. Open up NewBlueFX Titler Pro in Monitor 1
  2. Open up OBS and have running in Monitor 2
  3. In Titler Pro find a lower third, main title of your liking and add to your playlist. Change the text fields with your name etc if you like.
  4. Go up to 'Settings' on the menu bar selecting Device >> HDMI. Drag this small window into Monitor 2 and double click on it to make it fill Monitor 2.
  5. Go to 'Settings' again on the menu bar selecting HDMI Key >> select Green [either Blue or Green - Green worked based on lower third I chose]
  6. In OBS create a new scene and name it for this example 'newBlue'
  7. In 'Sources' add 'Window Capture' >> Window should be: [TitlerLiveStandalone.exe]: HDMI >> Window Match Priority: Executable Name >> deselect Capture Cursor >> Select Multi-adapter Compatibility >> click OK to exit
  8. Still in 'Sources' left click select Window Capture choosing 'Filters' >> add 'Chroma Key'. I actually chose Custom >> Select color with the color picker on the HDMI Key - Green. Once your color is correct it gets chroma keyed out - wooo whoo!!
  9. Add a camera or image to the scene. Make sure it's the bottom layer so that newBlue animation plays out over the top.
  10. OBS can sit comfortably on top of the expanded HDMI newBlue green screen. Why because the Window Capture is capturing [TitlerLiveStandalone.exe]: HDMI
  11. Go to the newBlue playlist where your lower third/main title is and play it out. You will notice that it seamlessly plays out over your image or camera.
You can get NewBlue Titler Pro Advance on a 30 day trial period if you want to give it a go. Here is the link: https://www.newbluefx.com/products/titler-live

Brent
Hi Brent, this trick is very good. I resolved my problem. Thank you.

Manicred

Hey all, I am about to begin development on a plugin to use my New Blue FX lower thirds pack on my obs, I was just interested if anyone here would be interested in using it for their shows or not?

L3_news_image_preview.jpg
Did you ever get this finished? It's exactly what I am looking for!

MudBocx

I'd be very interested in this.
My approach would be to develop the lower third thing very modularly. I'd prefer something w/ css.

For example:
I recently started developing a dynamic lower thirds/stream plan tool using html/css/javascript - works like a charm, is a little bit of a pain to set up for multiple graphics though. I will link to my codepen if you'd like to check out a sample.

I also tested two other aproaches:
- an image-only based aproach using the slideshow plugin. This is very easy and you would only need an image editor and set naming-conventions.
- an After Effects based approach w/ exporting the files to web-based animations (not video, because that is too memory hungry, not dynamic enough)

gedymury

Hey all, I am about to begin development on a plugin to use my New Blue FX lower thirds pack on my obs, I was just interested if anyone here would be interested in using it for their shows or not?

Its very nice I would like to use it in my shows , how can I download it?

surfd4wg

I was curious regarding the use of NewBlueFX Titler Pro and OBS. This will work on any 'dual monitor' setup.

3. In Titler Pro find a lower third, main title of your liking and add to your playlist. Change the text fields with your name etc if you like.
  4. Go up to 'Settings' on the menu bar selecting Device >> HDMI. Drag this small window into Monitor 2 and double click on it to make it fill Monitor 2.
  5. Go to 'Settings' again on the menu bar selecting HDMI Key >> select Green [either Blue or Green - Green worked based on lower third I chose]
  7. In 'Sources' add 'Window Capture' >> Window should be: [TitlerLiveStandalone.exe]: HDMI >> Window Match Priority: Executable Name >> deselect Capture Cursor >> Select Multi-adapter Compatibility >> click OK to exit
  8. Still in 'Sources' left click select Window Capture choosing 'Filters' >> add 'Chroma Key'. I actually chose Custom >> Select color with the color picker on the HDMI Key - Green. Once your color is correct it gets chroma keyed out - wooo whoo!!
  9. Add a camera or image to the scene. Make sure it's the bottom layer so that newBlue animation plays out over the top.
  10. OBS can sit comfortably on top of the expanded HDMI newBlue green screen. Why because the Window Capture is capturing [TitlerLiveStandalone.exe]: HDMI
  11. Go to the newBlue playlist where your lower third/main title is and play it out. You will notice that it seamlessly plays out over your image or camera.
You can get NewBlue Titler Pro Advance on a 30 day trial period if you want to give it a go. Here is the link: https://www.newbluefx.com/products/titler-live

Brent
That link doesn't work.

surfd4wg

Brent
That link is broken. How do you'all insert bottom thirds into your streams?

surfd4wg

Would love to see how to use this.