Lower fps in the game when running OBS

Scur3k

Hello. I apologize in advance for my English, I use an interpreter. He has been streaming on Twitch for half a year. I mainly transmit Warzone 900p / 720p. The problem is when I run OBS I lose 30-40fps in the game. I close OBS and everything returns to normal. I note that I do not need to stream, it is enough that OBS is open. The monitor on which the OBS is open is 60hz and 144hz for the game. I have no problem with rendering or dropping frames. Windows 64 bit updated. Current NVIDIA drivers. Thank you for your help.

My specification is:

Asus TUF GAMING Z590
I9 10900K
RTX 3070
32GB RAM 3200mhz

BK-Morpheus

Some OBS sources (for example browser sources, media playback or webcam access) need CPU power and rendering your scene is using GPU power.
This increased load on CPU/GPU is all there, even if you just start OBS without recording/streaming.
So a reduction in FPS has to be expected.

You could create a new, empty scene collection in OBS and create a scene with just a game capture source in it. This will give you the bare minimum impact possible. Then disable the preview and test the impact to your game.

Scur3k

Thanks for the answer. In the scene with the game, I only have a data source with alerts (streamlabs) and a webcam, nothing more, no additional loads, the preview is always turned off. There is also no problem with overloading the card or processor, usually without OBS I have 150fps and more, after launching 120-130fps, without drastic jumps. OBS running as administrator. Somewhere I have heard that the system is interfering with two monitors with different frequencies, is that true? If so, what can I do about it?

BK-Morpheus

If you get "150fps and more" a 144Hz Monitor (without OBS), you already are already running uncapped and therefore with either CPU or GPU as a bottleneck. As I said, rendering your OBS scene will eat some GPU and running alerts (Browser source) or a webcam will eat CPU power.

qhobbes

If you're using NVENC, do not use the Max Quality preset, Psycho Visual Tuning or Look-ahead as these require additional GPU resources which could affect you games.
The issue with the different frequencies was in an old version of Windows (I think 1909). Ideally (for streaming/recording games) refresh rate, source FPS and output FPS should be multiples of each other such as 120 Hz, 120 Game FPS and 60 OBS output FPS.