Question / Help Lossless Recordings Are Black & White In Vegas Pro 13

Hey everyone. I found a couple of threads on this topic that didn't seem to end up in any kind of resolution so I'm hoping someone can help me out here. I recently switched from XSplit to OBS Studio and am generally very impressed. I stream at 720p30 but I also record VoDs at 1080p60 to put on my YouTube channel later. I like the VoD quality to be as high as possible so I was using the Lossless mode. I record other games for YouTube with Dxtory in lossless no problem. I recently recorded an over 2 hour stream of RimWorld and when I imported the video into Vegas Pro 13, I was rather perplexed to find that in both the preview window and the final render, the entirety of the VoD was in black and white, except for a couple of very specific bits of colour.

I've recorded footage in literally half a dozen other programs and have never had this problem. The issue is the source VoD is massive (150GB) and if I try to transcode it in Handbrake (which drops the quality significantly as well), the end file can't be played. I also tried to convert it with Freemake and the end file there looks like you're trying to watch TV through a scrambled cable box. This doesn't happen with shorter test clips so I think the file might just be too large. The raw VoD is also way too large to upload to YouTube on its own (YouTube just won't accept a file that big).

Here's the weird part though. If I instead select any other rate control type, the VoDs look fine in Vegas Pro, though of course, they're not lossless. If I select a CQP profile of 25, they still look pretty good but still, not lossless (yes, I know I'm picky.) If I use the Lagarith Lossless Codec in any of my other recording applications, the clips look fine.

Does anyone know what this might be caused by and if there's any way to deal with it? Since I'm unable to transcode this RimWorld VoD, if I can't find a way to open it in Vegas Pro, my only option might be to scrap it or use the 720p30 VoD from Twitch which would be a shame. Pasting the log file here puts the post length too high and I tried to attach it and the upload would never finish so here's a Pastebin of it. Thanks all!

Attachments

• 2016-07-28 19-47-58.txt
    19.8 KB · Views: 38
Sorry yes, I meant to mention that the videos play perfectly in every media player. Tried PotPlayer (my default), VLC and Windows Media Player.

I had not heard of utvideo until now (the only lossless codec I've ever used is Lagarith) but if this codec is installable like that, I'm certainly happy to add it.

Thank you very much for your help! So I just now installed the latest utvideo distribution but am getting the same results in Vegas Pro which is very odd. From what I can tell, there should be nothing required to activate it in Vegas Pro, it should just use it if it's installed, a la Lagarith. Very odd but this is definitely progress! If anyone knows if there's extra steps to get Vegas Pro to work with UT Video, I'd appreciate knowing that. Thank you for your help!

Sadly, no dice there either. It's odd because if I search a bit, there's a ton of Vegas Pro users out there using UT Video. I am running the 64-bit version of Vegas but as there's only one installer, I presume that covers both bit flavours?

Yeah, it also installs to C:\Program Files as opposed to C:\Program Files (x86), usually a sign of a 64-bit application. Kind of stumped here if I'm honest. Lagarith just worked when it was installed. I did post a thread on the official Vegas Pro forums so hopefully someone there (or here) knows what I'm missing. Thank you though! If I can get Vegas Pro to use this codec, this solves my problem and from what I'm reading, utvideo seems to be a better lossless codec in general so I may switch my YouTube recordings over to it as well.