Question / Help Logitech C922 issues only on obs, not on any other programs

Tanryoku

Hello! I recently purchased a Logitech C922 for my birthday and I set it up to use with obs studio for my stream but I came across a big issue. Whenever I set up the resolution to anything bigger than 640x360, it just flickers very badly. I'll be uploading the logfile and a screenshot of how it looks like while it flickers so you can get an idea of what's happening.

From what I can understand, it has to do with the MJPEG video format. Anytime I try to use it, it flickers like that, no matter if it's 1080@30fps or 720@60fps/30fps. So far it seems that it works perfectly fine without any flickers at 640x360@30fps in the YUY2 video format, though whenever I watch a video on youtube on twitch.tv, the camera lags severely and I'm not sure why. I cannot select the YUY2 video format for anything bigger than 640x360 so it just flickers and I'm stuck on what I should do because I would like to have my camera record at 720@60fps while streaming. When I checked the logs, something I noticed was that whenever it was set to the MJPEG video format, it would display this right under it everytime "DShow: HDevice::ConnectPins: failed to connect pins (0x80040207): The owner SID on a per-user subscription doesn't exist"

Attachments

• obs studio issue.png
    obs studio issue.png
    360.9 KB · Views: 1,303
  • logfile.txt
    19.6 KB · Views: 131
HI,

Worth checking the codecs you have installed as your getting this error "
The owner SID on a per-user subscription doesn't exist"

No problem, the MJPEG requires a codec this can come with applications or be installed as part of a codec pack. This codec could be out of date or not installed correctly so its worth updating / reinstalling it and seeing if that resolves the issue.

Tanryoku

Thank you for the information. I'll try to figure out how to update/reinstall it and post again after. I'm new to this so it may take a while

Tanryoku

I'm not exactly sure what I'm doing and have been unable to fix my issue :( I downloaded ffdshow and set the mjpeg decoder to use that instead of microsofts and it's still glitching out.

Tanryoku

Is there any way we can talk? Twitch would work perfectly for me if that's okay with you. I reset all the webcam settings and I'm still having the issue.

Paul D.

I am having similar issues - but instead of it flickering, I just have really slow framerates (although this might be what your referring to flickering). Anything above 640x480 in OBS and I cant achieve a 30FPS.

Havent had time to work out the issue yet - about a week ago I got an update for the Logitech C922 software and OBS 16.6 on the same day - and since then the C922 has not worked correctly. Previously on 16.5 it worked flawlessly. I'm leaning to it being an OBS issue as I cant select anything but YUY2 format now (I believe I could get MJPEG previously) and it works perfectly in all other programs that require a camera, including 720p 60fps.

Tanryoku

Were you able to fix this? I have the same issue and I've tried everything to no avail

I haven't been able to find a fix for this but I'm still trying. The camera displays perfectly in the Logitech Gaming Software preview window but it flickers like hell in obs still.

broadcastguy

I'm having this same issue and have been since I purchased the camera late last year. I've tried reinstalling the software, etc. It seems to only happen in OBS.

I would like to bump this thread.

This problem started happening for me several months ago.

If I leave "Device Default" selected for the C922, I don't get the flickering, but i get around 10fps, which is horrid. The second I choose ANYTHING else custom, such as 720p, the flickering resumes. Low-light compensation unchecked, tried 60hz and 50hz selections, same results.

One interesting thing is the flickering seems to worsen as I move my mouse around the screen. I've tried plugging my mouse into a different USB bus than the webcam, but the same issues persist.

Has anyone found a reliable resolution?

Thank you.

Specs
-Windows 10
-GTX 1070
-16GB RAM
-i7 @ 4.00GHZ
-Z170-A mobo

NOTE
I still have my C920 and was able to do some testing. When I switched to a wide angle using the mpeg codec with the same settings (720p, 50hz, low-light compensation off), I got an occasional flicker (not as frequent as c922). I wasn't able to use the other codec profile for the camera, so I believe it has something to do with the mpeg format, though I don't understand why the c922 would produce different results from the C920.

Last edited:

SumDim

Test results on a Logitech C922

Baseline Test Parameters
- OBS set to recording mode
- USB 3.1 Gen 1 port over 6' USB cable extension
- OBS Base 1920x1080
- OBS Output 1920x1080
- C922 Webcam settings
- Video Format: MJPEG
- YUV Color Space 709
- YUV Color Range Full
- Buffering Auto Detect
- Audio Output Mode Capture audio only

Logitech C922 Flickers
------------------------------------------
Low light compensation OFF
- 1920x1080@30 and Match Output FPS
- 1280x720@30/60 Match Output FPS
- 960x720@30 and Match Output FPS

Low light compensation ON
- 1920x1080@30 and Match output FPS

Logitech C922 Doesn't Flicker
--------------------------------------------
Low light compensation OFF
- 800x600@30 and Match Output FPS
- 640x480@30 and Match Output FPS
- 800x488@30 and Match Output FPS
- 320x180@30 and Match Output FPS

Still Testing
-------------------------------------------
Low light compensation ON
- 1280x720@30/60 and Match Output FPS
- 960x720@30 and Match output FPS
- 640x480@30 and Match output FPS

Test results on a Logitech C920

Baseline Test Parameters
- OBS set to recording mode
- USB 3.1 Gen 2 via Unitek 4-port USB Hub
- OBS Base 1920x1080
- OBS Output 1920x1080
- C920 Webcam settings
- Video Format: MJPEG
- YUV Color Space 709
- YUV Color Range Full
- Buffering Auto Detect
- Audio Output Mode Capture audio only

Logitech C920 Doesn't Flicker
----------------------------------------------
Right Light OFF or ON
- 1920x1080@30 and Match Output FPS
- 1280x720@30/60 Match Output FPS
- 960x720@30 and Match Output FPS
- 640x480@30 and Match Output FPS

AC Power 50Hz or 60Hz
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Although this wasn't the source of my problem (I'm set at 60Hz in the USA), there's an anti flickering option.

In OBS Studio, right click on your webcam source
Go to Configure Video | Video Proc Amp
Set the power line frequency for your country's AC power. In the USA its NTSC 60hz, for other countries its PAL 50Hz.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    34 KB · Views: 531
Last edited:

Colby Dean

TRY THIS...
If the cam is plugged into USB 2.0 port, try plugging it into a USB 3.0 port.
If the cam is plugged into USB 3.0 port, try plugging it into a USB 2.0 port.
ALSO...
Try connecting the webcam to a USB port that is connected to the Motherboard directly, if it already is, connect it to one that's not.

I was having this same issue Thank you so much "So Who You" switching from a 3.0 to a 2.0 port fixed the issue. I really appreciate it

wkearney99

There's definitely something going on with USB3 vs USB2 ports. I've got a laptop where the Logitech C922 and C930 would not work reliably without tearing. The config involved a Thunderbolt dock, using that to power the laptop and plugging the cameras into it (via an in-built USB hub).

I moved them to an old Pluggable brand USB2 hub. That still didn't help, as I had the hub plugged into the Thunderbolt dock (a Caldigital unit). Once I moved the USB2 hub to an actual USB port on the side of the laptop the problems appear to have stopped.