Question / Help Logitech C920 get pixelated

NervousHQ

I'm already good with PUBG but now the new issue is webcam. I've downscaled resolution to 720, but it get pixelated as well. It doesnt matter this is on NVENC or x264. My processor running on ~80% cpu usage. Bit rate = 6K. Game is running well but webcam is my nightmare. I've got no losed frames. On a prewiev everything is good. Have u got any solution?

BK-Morpheus

Have you got any log file and video example?
It's normal, that the webcam gets a bit pixelated/blurry, when you run in the open areas of PUBG when recording/streaming at 720p 60fps at 6k bitrate.

Indoors or while jumping out of the plane, your webcam should look better.

NervousHQ

@BK-Morpheus tbh i don't know how can i make logs in obs :P I can make bitrate higher than 6K but will it change something?

@edit
Ops... I forget about twitch - max bitrate 6k :P There must be the way to make it stable like other peoples...

DEDRICK

Open areas have a lot of grass and color, the bane of an encoders existence. Bright/Sharp details + low bitrates = macroblocking for the whole scene.

In order to maintain IQ on the scene it has to take bits from somewhere, to the encoder your camera is stationary object that barely changes per frame, so the B frame and P frame bits get allocated to the ever-changing grass pixels.

NervousHQ

So tell me how other streamers doesn't have this problem and can play with very good quality webcam on similar hardware... There must be any solution there.

BK-Morpheus

Video example of your problem + log file would be good.
Maybe we are talking about completely different amounts of pixelation.

Pinót

I keep seeing this issue about a c920 and I have yet to see a solution.
I have a buddy who has the same issue.
Any updates on this @BK-Morpheus

My buddy uses 6,000 bitrate to test
uploading at 1080p game @ 60 FPS with a 1080 webcam
CBR encoding

Last edited:

NervousHQ

Attachments

• pubg123.jpg
    pubg123.jpg
    627.6 KB · Views: 1,724
Last edited:

BK-Morpheus

I only see compression artifacts in you webcam screenshot.
Not enough bitrate + not enough lighting in your room.

NervousHQ

Well bitrate at 6K - maximum that Twitch allows to use. In fact camera on previev obs seems good. Just look...

Attachments

• nenenene.jpg
    nenenene.jpg
    180.1 KB · Views: 906

BK-Morpheus

Log says: 1080p 60fps 5000kbit/s NVENC
So 1080p which is too much for fast games with that bitrate. Then 60fps, which makes it even worse (needs more bitrate) and NVENC which produces slightly worse quality then x264.

My suggestion: Use 720p 60fps with x264.

SumDim

Here's another thing to think about.

- You want to produce a 720p stream. You set your output to 1280x720.
- You are taking your web camera output and capturing at the resolution you specify using Logitech control panel or OBS configure button - 864x480
- Then, you take that 864x480 and resize it in your 1280x720 OBS layout.

I can't imagine this will look good. All this resizing can cause pixelation because it is not a 1:1 mapping of pixels. Pixels are either introduced or removed. It is not the original data.

Try this:
- Set the webcam to be 1280x720 as your output to make everything have the same ratio and size.
- Zoom in with the web camera to capture your face or main object of interest.
- Right click on the web camera source in the OBS scene layout and choose Transform | Edit and clip out the top, bottom, left and right sides.

This way the 1280x720 webcam output stays intact, in its original form. No scaling is done to introduce pixelation. You just clip out stuff you don't need.

Hope that makes sense.

NervousHQ

It is the same all the time no matter what i do... I can't find any fix or even issues. I've found that the problem exist in any game. Prewiev is clear and smooth but when i'm streaming... Damn. This is so annoying. I will drop bag of gold on that person who would help me lol :P

@edit
Perhaps my obs settings are bad because every game looks bad ><...

https://gist.github.com/24fcd5883dac19a04b7e752502d5d8cf < logs there.

The OBS preview window is just a preview of your scenes at max quality, and not what the viewers will be seeing post-encoding.

Your lighting is, in my opinion, the major culprit, since it is a lot of even shades of light browns and dark browns. The closer the shades are to eachother, the more the encoder will want to just blend them together. Plus the details in the game appear to be taking more of the encoder performance to keep the visuals crisp.

Adjust your lighting more, possibly getting a light that aims at you but now the rest of the room, maybe even a back light that aims at your back. You can get clamp-on dome lights for relativly cheap at places like Home Depot, and some nice "cool white" LED lights that wont generate much heat (if any) to help in those areas. The room i am in right now has 5 LED lights (specifically GE Bright Stiks), three of them are far away from me adding general ambience, one is slightly above me overhead (all four of those are actually my ceiling lighting) and then I have a dome light aiming directly at my green screen to brighten it up.

Even if you dont have a green screen, you want to brighten yourself up so you are more prominent in the camera than the rest of your room behind you. Adjusting the white balance of the camera so everything doesnt have an amber color would also help.