Log File -- Per Scene or Per Session

Kharay

Correct me if I am wrong but at the moment the log file is appended to as long as the scene remains. Or, as long as you do not remove all sources in a particular scene anyhow. Eventually this will, as we have seen created massively large log files that even though they do provide a substantial amount of information are really somewhat unwieldy to use when investigating a particular session or situation.

Would it be an option to add an option to let people switch between Appending to the current log file or letting them Create a new log file for every streaming session, irrelevant of what may or may not have happened to the scene itself?

... I hope that kind of made sense. :P

ThoNohT

Developer
Logfiles are appended to as long as OBS stays active. Once you close it, the file handle is closed and the next time you start OBS, a new one will be started. Why do you need a new topic for this, as you already pointed out a related issue right here: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=5604

In which the answer was that at least releasing the file handle after a session would be good. If that means starting a new log file, I don't know. But at the moment forcing a limited log file size is possible by restarting OBS whenever you want a new one to start.

Personally, if I were to do a long streaming session, which contains some stops and starts, I'd like those in the same file, or I'd have to go look through all the files and find the ones with the correct date, switch between them to find the one for the session that I needed to investigate. As opposed to finding the last logfile, opening it and scrolling down until A. the correct timestamp appears, or B. an issue appears.

Kharay

ThoNohT said:
But at the moment forcing a limited log file size is possible by restarting OBS whenever you want a new one to start.
Which to me seems like an unnecessary thing to do. It is not at all hard to offer the option between either of the 2 scenarios. You may prefer having everything in 1 big log file, I however do not. It takes all kinds and there is no accounting for taste, as they say. ;)

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
I think someone posted a similar thread on here -- I'm not sure how I feel about it honestly. It's difficult to really separate certain log data, and it feels redundant to some extent. Right now the log system initiates when the app starts up and closes the log when the app ends, and it's a single Log function call that writes to a "global" log anywhere in the app and in plugins.

I could see the preference of creating a new log per stream session/recording, but 'm not sure how much I like separating log data though scenes. Session is definitely something I would consider however.

ThoNohT

Developer
Aye, but then please explain what you mean by your per scene option. It currently definitely doesn't end a log file whenever scenes are removed, or... whatever you mean. Also creating a logfile per scene switch seems like a lot of overhead that has to be done every time by adding profile results when finishing up the logfile.

Per streaming session or per run of obs might be a valid choice. But at the same time, if you make every little detail like that a ui option (which isn't relevant to normal users anyway, as they don't need logfiles), you really need to beware bloating it too much.

.. and what Jim wrote. I think the thread you mean is the one I linked in my first reply by the way.

Kharay

I did not mean anything with the per scene. It was just how I interpreted OBS' current behaviour, nothing more. Regarding the argument of bloating -- it would be 1 tickbox, tucked away somewhere in Advanced or something. And it could be tied to releasing the handle on stream-end (my other suggestion).

Like, add a minor sub-section to Advanced called "Log File" and simply add 1 or 2 tickboxes there. It's not that that would bloat it too much.

FerretBomb

Really, there's no problem IMO with the current logging setup. If you want to test, you have all the options listed out each time you start streaming. If you want to segment the logfile, it takes all of three seconds to close OBS, then re-open it. Not as if it's one of those massive, bloat-filled programs that take 2 minutes to start each time, even without counting the 30-second 'trial delay' (XSplit).
Just opened/closed it three times to make sure. Zero lag. This is more of a PEBCAK.