Question / Help Local Recording slightly sped up

Nino_Z

When I check the log, it seems like more frames are being drawn than output. I feel like this is related, but I don't understand enough of what is going on in order to fix this issue.

koala

What exactly do you mean with "sped up"? Are they playing faster than expected, for example a 5 minute video plays back in 4 minutes? How slightly is "slightly"? A second every 10 seconds, a second every 100 seconds, a second every 1000 seconds?

You log exhibits no problems at all. May be a media player issue. Check your media player if it is set to some kind of accelerated playback. Also check the video with a different media player such as VLC or Media Player Classic.

Nino_Z

So sorry for my late reply. REALLY late reply. Ironically, I had just accepted the problem, but it's still there. It's not VLC based either - I've uploaded the videos on youtube and those are also slightly faster. I use VLC as well. It seems to be related to the actual recording, since this never happened back in the day when I used Fraps. The speed increase is relatively small, but noticeable since it looks like I am nervously looking around, etc.

Here's a recent log:

rockbottom

Nino, relax when you're recording, no need to be a Nervous Nellie.

All kidding aside, you're seeing stuttering due to running your monitor @ 144 fps & recording 60 fps.

You should also fix this:
01:45:41.708: - scene 'Scene':
01:45:41.708: - source: 'Display Capture' (monitor_capture)
01:45:41.708: - source: 'Game Capture' (game_capture)

And read this:

Last edited:

Nino_Z

All kidding aside, you're seeing stuttering due to running your monitor @ 144 fps & recording 60 fps.

You should also fix this:
01:45:41.708: - scene 'Scene':
01:45:41.708: - source: 'Display Capture' (monitor_capture)
01:45:41.708: - source: 'Game Capture' (game_capture)

And read this:

(Loved the joke about being nervous :D )
Thank you for your reply. Sadly your answer has left me with many questions due to my ignorance. So here we go:

1. You speak of stuttering, but I am actually having a very stable framerate. Unless you are calling my slightly sped up recording "stuttering", but I have to add that it doesn't look like there is any issue with the framerate, it just appears 10% faster than what it really was.

2. These things that I need to fix - can you explain what you want me to fix there? I have two recording sources, but one is always blind (the eye icon is crossed out). I am not sure what the "scene" part means, though. Please elaborate.

3. This link seems to be focusing on streaming, something that I am not interested in at the moment. I am all about the recording. My recording looks good in terms of colors. It's just that it seems a little bit sped up.

Thank you for trying to help, I hope you can provide answers to my question. I am sort of a newbie when it comes to these things.

Last edited:

rockbottom

1. Correct you're getting 60fps on your recordings but the stuttering is being caused by the mis-matched refresh rates you're running. If you limit your in game fps to 120 & run your monitor @ 120 instead of 144 when you're recording the stuttering should clear up.

2) Create another Scene & move either the game or monitor capture to it. Having both in the same scene can cause flickering ect.

3) Streaming, recording it really doesn't matter. If your ENTIRE workflow isn't using the Full Color Range then you shouldn't be using it in OBS.

Last edited:

Nino_Z

1. Correct you're getting 60fps on your recordings but the stuttering is being caused by the mis-matched refresh rates you're running. If you limit your in game fps to 120 & run your monitor @ 120 instead of 144 when you're recording the stuttering should clear up.
I want the footage to be @60FPS since youtube prefers it. So you advise I switch my monitor's refresh rate to 60 if I want to record the game in 60FPS and the footage should not appear slightly sped up?

rockbottom

You should be able to run the monitor @ 120 fps when recording with the same result but if you're OK with running it @ 60 fps, that's even better. Just don't leave it set @ 144 fps when you're recording.