Question / Help Live streaming school news.

NZNoddy

I’m currently trying to set up a live stream of our weekly school news show, KPS News. I have managed to connect the camera filming the presenters to our studio iMac using a Black Magic Ultra Recording box. Using OBS Studio Mode, I can see the camera, which I’ve set up using Scene 1. What I am now trying to do is to run slideshows, using Photos, run from Scene 2. The issue I’m having is that when I run a slideshow , it enters full screen mode and I can’t see OBS to switch it back to the presenter’s camera.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I should be setting this up? I did wonder about setting up my Photos programme on another iMac and connecting it to the studio iMac, but I’m unsure how this works.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Cheers
Neil

Narcogen

If you have access to an external device, such as a tablet or mobile phone, that can be on the same network as the Mac you are streaming from, you can use OBS Websocket and a web interface to do some controls (scene changes, etc) from the external device.

https://obsproject.com/forum/resour...e-control-of-obs-studio-made-easy.466/updates

A second display connected would work, so long as Photos does not blank OTHER screens when playing a slideshow-- which it appears to not do, as far as I can tell.

NZNoddy

If you have access to an external device, such as a tablet or mobile phone, that can be on the same network as the Mac you are streaming from, you can use OBS Websocket and a web interface to do some controls (scene changes, etc) from the external device.

https://obsproject.com/forum/resour...e-control-of-obs-studio-made-easy.466/updates

A second display connected would work, so long as Photos does not blank OTHER screens when playing a slideshow-- which it appears to not do, as far as I can tell.
Thanks for your reply. I've downloaded the OBS Websocket pkg onto my MacBook air and have installed it but aren't sure how to run it.

Narcogen

The instructions are on the download page.

https://github.com/Palakis/obs-websocket

Using obs-websocket
A web client and frontend made by t2t2 (compatible with tablets and other touch interfaces) is available here : http://t2t2.github.io/obs-tablet-remote/

It is highly recommended to protect obs-websocket with a password against unauthorized control. To do this, open the "Websocket server settings" dialog under OBS' "Tools" menu. In the settings dialogs, you can enable or disable authentication and set a password for it.

Possible use cases
  • Remote control OBS from a phone or tablet on the same local network
  • Change your stream overlay/graphics based on the current scene (like the AGDQ overlay does)
  • Automate scene switching with a third-party program (e.g. : auto-pilot, foot pedal, ...)

NZNoddy

The instructions are on the download page.

https://github.com/Palakis/obs-websocket

Using obs-websocket
A web client and frontend made by t2t2 (compatible with tablets and other touch interfaces) is available here : http://t2t2.github.io/obs-tablet-remote/

It is highly recommended to protect obs-websocket with a password against unauthorized control. To do this, open the "Websocket server settings" dialog under OBS' "Tools" menu. In the settings dialogs, you can enable or disable authentication and set a password for it.

Possible use cases
  • Remote control OBS from a phone or tablet on the same local network
  • Change your stream overlay/graphics based on the current scene (like the AGDQ overlay does)
  • Automate scene switching with a third-party program (e.g. : auto-pilot, foot pedal, ...)
Sorry to appear a little technically challenged but is the OBS interface on the iPad an app, or do I somehow access the OBS screen on my presenter iMac through the browser on the iPad? Thanks agin for your help. Neil

Narcogen

I'm not using Stream Co-Pilot. I'm using the web interface linked above together with OBS running on a Mac on the same network with the OBS Websocket plugin installed.

Stream Co-Pilot depends on OBS Websocket to work, but as far as I can tell that front-end app is Android only. Its web page claims an iOS version "should be available soon" but the last update about this app was almost a year ago.

NZNoddy

Hi Narcogen.
Finally understood what you meant and have managed to link through the browser on my iPad and seems to be working as I hoped. The only remaining issue I have is that there is quite a lag when I switch from one scene to another, can be upwards of 10secs sometimes. Will that be because the iMac I am streaming from is on wifi? We have a fibre backbone through our wired network. Cheers. Neil

Narcogen

Should not be the case. I use an iPad on wireless to control both Macs and Windows machines running OBS Websocket and scene changes are instantaneous. Do you mean it takes 10 seconds to see the scene change in the preview window on OBS, or 10 seconds until the change reaches a live stream you are watching? Because it is not unusual for a stream to a service like YouTube or Twitch to have a delay of 10 seconds or even more.

NZNoddy

I do mean the change as it reaches a live stream I’m watching, not the OBS preview window. Thanks for all your help and insight. Now I know that this normal, I can allow for it. Cheers. Neil

NZNoddy

Hi again. Would you know why I'm not getting any sound feed from either my camera or the slideshows shown through Display Capture? Cheers. Neil

NZNoddy

Thanks for that. I’ll give it a go. Will that mean the sound from my camera, through my Black Magic Ultra Recorder, will work as well?

Narcogen

That is a separate question. Whether you get sound from an external video capture device depends on the drivers for that device, but it is separate from desktop audio.

A display capture source never supplies sound, since it is only capturing a display.

Some BlackMagic devices are supported explicitly as "BlackMagic" devices and should be added as such in your scenes.

Others are Video capture devices, and can be configured to receive both video and audio. You should try both methods to see what works for your BlackMagic device.