Large amounts of dropped frames

MrSrgsnowman

Good evening,

I noticed the last several streams it looks like I am dropping anywhere from 6-10% of the frames and my internet has not changed at all, neither has any hardware piece (PC, router, modem, network in general), the only thing that changed is that OBS was updated. Is anyone else having this issue? It really sucks that my last streams before break are such crappy quality.

JohnPee

MrSrgsnowman

I looked at the logs and saw that it said:
"18:03:04.275: Output 'adv_stream': Number of dropped frames due to insufficient bandwidth/connection stalls: 11738 (9.4%)"

But I have 500 mb/s down and 300 mb/s upload and my computer is barely utilizing any of it and it is one of 2 different devices on the network and both are not using almost any bandwidth.
1667792721402.png

JohnPee

You can use the Log Analyzer which you can find in these forum threads. Here is a cheap version of the output which should give you an idea of the issue.

Log Analysis​

View entire log file
Critical
Max Audio Buffering
Warning
9.4% Dropped Frames
Capture Interference
Multiple Game Capture
Info
Windows 10 21H2 (OK)
Not Admin
0.2% Rendering Lag
0.2% GPU Encoder Overload
Critical Max Audio Buffering
Audio buffering hit the maximum value. This is an indicator of very high system load, will affect stream latency, and may even cause individual audio sources to stop working. Keep an eye on CPU usage especially, and close background programs if needed.

Occasionally, this can be caused by incorrect device timestamps. Restart OBS to reset buffering.

Source affected (potential cause): Chrome
Warning 9.4% Dropped Frames
Your log contains streaming sessions with dropped frames. This can only be caused by a failure in your internet connection or your networking hardware. It is not caused by OBS. Follow the troubleshooting steps at: Dropped Frames and General Connection Issues.
Warning Capture Interference
Display and Game Capture Sources interfere with each other. Never put them in the same scene.
Warning Multiple Game Capture
Multiple Game Capture sources are usually not needed, and can sometimes interfere with each other. You can use the same Game Capture for all your games! If you change games often, try out the hotkey mode, which lets you press a key to select your active game. If you play games in fullscreen, use 'Capture any fullscreen application' mode.
Info Windows 10 21H2 (OK)
You are running Windows 10 21H2, which will be supported by Microsoft until June 2023.
Info Not Admin
OBS is not running as Administrator. This can lead to OBS not being able to Game Capture certain games. If you are not running into issues, you can ignore this.
Info 0.2% Rendering Lag
Your GPU is maxed out and OBS can't render scenes fast enough. Running a game without vertical sync or a frame rate limiter will frequently cause performance issues with OBS because your GPU will be maxed out. OBS requires a little GPU to render your scene.

Enable Vsync or set a reasonable frame rate limit that your GPU can handle without hitting 100% usage.

If that's not enough you may also need to turn down some of the video quality options in the game. If you are experiencing issues in general while using OBS, your GPU may be overloaded for the settings you are trying to use.

Please check our guide for ideas why this may be happening, and steps you can take to correct it: GPU Overload Issues.
Info 0.2% GPU Encoder Overload
The encoder is skipping frames because of GPU overload. Read about troubleshooting tips in our GPU Overload Guide.

MrSrgsnowman

The problem with that is that my internet has not changed at all. My internet is performing exactly how it has in previous streams (that did not drop frames). The literal only thing that has changed is that OBS was updated. Like I put in my above message, my router is more than powerful enough to handle streaming and so is my bandwidth being provided by my ISP.

JohnPee

There are a ton of Streamelements errors in your log file. If you updated to OBS v28 is the version of Streamelements you are running compatible with it or do you need to update that as well.

MrSrgsnowman

Those errors are coming from a Chrome browser source that is connecting to my streamelements overlay that I am using. I do not have anything installed locally that is from streamelements

sandrix

The log looks bad. A lot of different errors. Check the speed with the utility

To be honest, I would do a clean install, too much junk

Try creating a portable version of OBS first and test it out

Last edited:

MrSrgsnowman

The twitch test utility showed me getting extremely good connection with the Chicago server so I switched from automatic to that one for now. I will try a clean install when I get back home.

MrSrgsnowman

I have tried all of those. A clean install SHOULD fix the other issues I have been having on previous streams though. I have had to create 3 forums posts on here since updating to the latest OBS, all with different issues that went unresolved.

MrSrgsnowman

If my connection to twitch shows as 100 quality and nothing has changed in my setup except OBS updating, I really don't think it would be my connection. None of these issues occurred until the last update + hotfix of OBS.