Question / Help Laggy Recordings started 2 months ago

Wendy Stroup

Hello, my 10 year old daughter loves to record on Hypixel and post her videos to you tube. Two months ago her videos became very laggy. She never streams, only records on OBS. I have tried the help pages - I lowered the bit rate to 1000, I am no longer using wireless internet, I tried going from cbr to crf (that was way worse), I tried turning off windows defender, I just can't find the problem. Does anyone see anything in this log file that stands out as an issue? She loves recording her videos so much and I just can't fix this. :(
Many thanks in advanced

Attachments

• 2018-02-24 12-02-11.txt
    4.5 KB · Views: 5

Wendy Stroup

I fixed it for the most part. Switched from x264 to QSV. That seems to have been the main problem. It's still a little laggy but much better.

Given your laptop is a dual core with hyper-threading and no dedicated graphics card, Intel QSV (Quick Sync Video) is definitely the best option for recording performance.

Unfortunately the logfile you uploaded does not contain any recording attempt output...
Can you do a few minutes' worth of recording (Doing what you would normally do in-game) then stop the recording session, then upload a current logfile please so I or someone else can further assist in troubleshooting:
https://obsproject.com/forum/threads/please-post-a-log-with-your-issue-heres-how.23074/

In your logfile I noticed you have Windows GameDVR enabled. This may be a cause of the performance issue as even when you are not using it, just having it enabled in Windows settings it will always hook into the game process and commit resources (Similar to what OBS does when OBS is open, though more aggressively as it also buffers for replay recording)

You should remove the monitor capture source from the scene 'Scene' as it relies on your system RAM to grab the frame, which is far less efficient than the direct hooking method used by game capture.
Game capture grabs the frame directly from the graphics card for OBS to encode before sending it back to the graphics card for final rendering of the frame.
Monitor capture has the graphics card write the frame to system RAM before OBS grabs it to encode, then sends it back to the graphics card to render for final output.