Laggy recording in some areas

Flamme

Hi, there are some areas in my recordings that looks really laggy. The recordings looks smooth in most places, but then they just suddenly starts to lag. Like if some frames were dropped or skipped. Barely any frames are dropped or skipped when I record in obs. The skipped/dropped frames are usually at 0-20 when I record for an hour. (0.0%). Im not lagging in-game either.

Im recording and playing at 60fps. I have two monitors. The one that Im playing on is 144hz, and obs is on the other 60hz monitor. I record videos on roblox, were the fps is capped to 60 because of vsync. I usually record videos from a roblox game called Juke's Towers of Hell (JToH). The goal is to climb and beat "towers", and every tower contains "floors". Each floor usually have different colors and music. I was wondering if the colors or music could be the issue, since it seems like the recording is always lagging at the same floors.

Recording settings:
mp4
NVIDIA NVENC H.246 (new)
1920x1080
CQP (level 20)
keyframes: 0 (automatic)
Quality
High profile
look-ahead: false
psycho visual tuning: false:
GPU: 0
Maximum B-frames: 2

48 kHz
160 kbps

Bicubic downscale filter
60 fps

Direct3D 11
NV12
709 full

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpyDNi6S81I&t=286s (Tower of Hopeless Hell)
This is my most recent video. The lag is worst from 14:50 and until the end of the video.

I think the recording looks a bit laggy through the whole video, and the colors is almost the same for every floor.

Here is another example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-cpBgzy1ls&t=33s
5:00 to 5:40.
It doesnt look that bad on this one, but it's noticable. Atleast for me, since it was much smoother when I was playing.

The log file is for the first example (Tower of Hopeless Hell).

Attachments

• 2021-09-15 19-23-09.txt
    33 KB · Views: 19

qhobbes

1. If you're playing on your MSI 144 Hz monitor with Vsync, then your FPS is capped at 144. Change the refresh rate on your monitor to 120 Hz and cap your games at 120 FPS/enable Vsync.
2. Run OBS as Admin. Right click on the shortcut, properties, advanced, check box, ok, apply, ok.
3. In OBS, go to "Settings -> Advanced" and set "YUV Color Range" back to "Partial".
4. Record to FLV or MKV. If you record to MP4 or MOV and the recording is interrupted, the file will be corrupted and unrecoverable.

If you require MP4 files for some other purpose like editing, remux them afterwards by selecting File > Remux Recordings in the main OBS Studio window or enable Auto Remux in the Advanced Settings.

22:03:27.269: [game-capture: 'Spillopptak'] attempting to hook fullscreen process: chrome.exe
22:03:27.269: [game-capture: 'Spillopptak'] cannot capture chrome.exe due to being blacklisted
5. If you are trying to capture Chrome, use Window Capture or consider using the Browser Source.

Flamme

1. If you're playing on your MSI 144 Hz monitor with Vsync, then your FPS is capped at 144. Change the refresh rate on your monitor to 120 Hz and cap your games at 120 FPS/enable Vsync.
2. Run OBS as Admin. Right click on the shortcut, properties, advanced, check box, ok, apply, ok.
3. In OBS, go to "Settings -> Advanced" and set "YUV Color Range" back to "Partial".
4. Record to FLV or MKV. If you record to MP4 or MOV and the recording is interrupted, the file will be corrupted and unrecoverable.

If you require MP4 files for some other purpose like editing, remux them afterwards by selecting File > Remux Recordings in the main OBS Studio window or enable Auto Remux in the Advanced Settings.

22:03:27.269: [game-capture: 'Spillopptak'] attempting to hook fullscreen process: chrome.exe
22:03:27.269: [game-capture: 'Spillopptak'] cannot capture chrome.exe due to being blacklisted
5. If you are trying to capture Chrome, use Window Capture or consider using the Browser Source.
I've tried everything you said, and I my recording is still lagging occasionally.
Also I can't cap the fps in-game to 120. Maximum fps in roblox is 60.
I also think the recording is more laggy when it's brighter. Because my last recording was always lagging when I went past noen glowing parts.

qhobbes

19:05:31.962: fps: 60/1
19:56:18.992: Video stopped, number of skipped frames due to encoding lag: 6/180864 (0.0%)

6 frames were skipped in a 50 minute recording at 60 FPS. I'm not sure where you are getting this 20 FPS from.

Flamme

The thing is, it looks less laggy when I record in 120fps. So it can't be a problem with my gpu

and yes, Im playing in 60fps

Flamme

Update on the issue: I found out that the preview window in obs is lagging, and when the preview is lagging, the recording is lagging aswell. There is no encoding or rendering lag, and the game is not lagging either. So yeah, the lag in my recordings are synced with the lag in the preview.

Flamme

Still having the same problem. Even got a new pc and I sometimes have 0.0% dropped or missed even after 10 minutes

How do you get a report for this? I have same kind of issues but it doesn’t lag on my pc only when I watch back the videos. It’s beyond frustrating as my pc is worth over $12k with latest stuff all DDR5 etc. 32gb ram but just ordered another 32gb worth 64gb so ram has never been the issue but won’t hurt me bumping my pc up to 64gb.
My next check is to make sure all my drivers are up to date but I still think it’s an OBS thing.
Here a video of what it’s doing to mine.