Question / Help Keyframe Intervall 0 or 2?

ScaryRage

Hey,
I want to ask if there is any video quality diffrence between Keyframeintervall 0 (4.16) and 2? I know that theres an delay added with using 0 but is there also an improvment in quality or something else? I dont mind about the extra 5 seconds delay if i get a better quality then.

Suslik V

No. You don't. Anyway, if you couldn't notice the difference - what the point to change the values?
Too high setting of key frame intervals, depending on bitrate, may cause "keyframe pumping" effect that worsens perception of the footage.

Boildown

If you're streaming to Twitch, I believe they still want you to use a 2 second keyframe interval. If you're just recording, you can use whatever you want. I typically go for a 5 second keyframe interval on my recordings. If you see "keyframe pumping" like Suslik says, then use a smaller interval, but I've never seen this at 5 seconds @ 60 fps which is more than the default (300 frames vs default of 250).

Strictly speaking, longer keyframe intervals should result in better quality for the bitrate, but there's diminishing returns, and in the context of live encoding, its not worth going crazy on.

Like Suslik said, the 0 setting tells it to use the default keyframe interval, which is usually if not always 250 frames (regardless of your FPS).

Last edited: