Question / Help Issue with vp8 encoding [NEED HELP]

trooose

Vp9 is intensive on your cpu so I attempted to encode with libvpx [vp8] instead, I used the audio codec libvorbis but it comes up with an error when you attempt to record "An unspecified error occured while recording"

Anyone know how to fix? Also sorry for needing soo much help, im kinda new to this stuff...

Here is the log, there was no crash so I can't give yall that

Attachments

• 2018-02-07 07-12-30.txt
    5.3 KB · Views: 49

pkv

Developer
i have the same error; it is likely ffmpeg was not compiled with vpx support. Note that the list of codecs displayed in obs is that supported by ffmpeg in general, but that the dll might have been compiled with less encoders.
For youtube, you should use x264 + aac. Quality will be better. Don't know why you stick to vpx ... not worth it. Nobody will make licensing claims for your encode in x264 and YouTube re-encodes all your ingests so ...

trooose

Idk, I like the idea of keeping away from mp4 when it comes to stuff like this, are you sure there is no way to fix it? Wouldn't the error entail that something in the settings is incompatible?

pkv

Developer
it can be fixed by compiling your own dll for ffmpeg libs with support for vpx and swapping the dll shipping with obs.
There was a change in ffmpeg binaries in obs; check if earlier versions of obs work for vpx. If they do, use those versions.

trooose

it can be fixed by compiling your own dll for ffmpeg libs with support for vpx and swapping the dll shipping with obs.
There was a change in ffmpeg binaries in obs; check if earlier versions of obs work for vpx. If they do, use those versions.
any idea which versions? I tried a few and can't find it

FirebirdTN

This thread is the main reason I just joined. BUMP.

I, like the OP cannot get vp8 encoding working at all. On any recent version. VP9 doesn't work in the latest version either. I rolled back to obs v23 and vp9 works, but is unusable for realtime encoding at any usable resolution. So I tried copying the dlls from ffmpeg and overwriting the ones shipped with obs to no avail.

Would REALLY love to see this fixed. VP8 Encoding works perfectly with ffmpeg, but I would really like the ease-of-use, and added flexibility of obs. Whether it can be made to work in Windows or Linux, doesn't matter. I'm comfortable with either.

Thanks,

-Alan

Last edited:

FirebirdTN

Again, I know this is an old thread, but for the benefit of any google searches that land here...

I've screwed with this for over two days now, and finally found a work-around.

After MUCH trial and error, I have found the issue here isn't really with obs. It is with the bundled version of ffmpeg.

I bypassed obs completely and started playing around with ffmpeg directly and had issues here and there as well, BUT...I found a version that worked for me.

This DOES work for me now, but who knows for how long. The workaround (this is all 64 bit arch):

Install the current version of obs (24.0.3).
Download version 4.1.4 of the SHARED library build of ffmpeg.
Extract the contents of the ffmpeg zip file.
Navigate to the \bin folder of ffmpeg.
Copy all the .dll files.
Navigate to C:\Program Files\obs-studio\bin\64bit folder (or where ever you have obs installed)
*optional* backup the original .dll files that have the same filename as the ones copied from ffmpeg (Rename and/or move the original .dll files)
paste the .dll files extracted from the ffmpeg folder above.
You can delete the ffmpeg folder if you wish.

Hope this saves someone out there some hair pulling. I've lost enough already.

-Alan

Last edited:

dyallo

Again, I know this is an old thread, but for the benefit of any google searches that land here...

I've screwed with this for over two days now, and finally found a work-around.

After MUCH trial and error, I have found the issue here isn't really with obs. It is with the bundled version of ffmpeg.

I bypassed obs completely and started playing around with ffmpeg directly and had issues here and there as well, BUT...I found a version that worked for me.

This DOES work for me now, but who knows for how long. The workaround (this is all 64 bit arch):

Install the current version of obs (24.0.3).
Download version 4.1.4 of the SHARED library build of ffmpeg.
Extract the contents of the ffmpeg zip file.
Navigate to the \bin folder of ffmpeg.
Copy all the .dll files.
Navigate to C:\Program Files\obs-studio\bin\64bit folder (or where ever you have obs installed)
*optional* backup the original .dll files that have the same filename as the ones copied from ffmpeg (Rename and/or move the original .dll files)
paste the .dll files extracted from the ffmpeg folder above.

Hope this saves someone out there some hair pulling. I've lost enough already.

-Alan
Thanks Alan! I joined just to say this. I'm on OBS 25.1 using the 4.1.4 ffmpeg libraries

Ric404

Thanks FirebirdTN! Works with OBS 26.0.2 and FFMPEG 4.3.1

Solution (worked for me) - OS: Windows
- Install the current version of OBS (nov/2020 : 26.0.2)
- Download the current SHARED library build of ffmpeg (nov/2020 : 4.3.1) (https://www.gyan.dev/ffmpeg/builds/)
- Extract the contents of the ffmpeg zip file
- Navigate to the \bin folder of ffmpeg
- Copy all the .dll files
- Navigate to C:\Program Files\obs-studio\bin\64bit folder (or where ever you have obs installed)
- paste the .dll files extracted from the ffmpeg folder

Now OBS will work with WEBM: VP9 or VP8 + VORBIS (OPUS still not working)
:-)

Schinken

Heya everybody. I'm in the same boat and have been playing around with ffmpeg builds for 1-2 days now. I got two problems. (OBS 26.x + ffmpeg 4.3.1).
Whenever I stop the recording OBS crashes, this is not really a problem as the recording is just a livestream (record to RTP with libvpx (vp8)).
But the resulting stream is degrading really fast, when there is minimal motion in the scene the video disintegrates into a pixelated mess.

Can anyone confirm this on their side? Also, I'd like to try ffmpeg 4.1.4 since that is the version OBS ships with but can't find a download, can anybody share their version?

Edit: Just to confirm, ffmpeg on its own works flawless with libvpx (no image problems at all!). So I think its something OBS does internally (I skimmed through the source code yesterday but no luck so far :/)

FirebirdTN

Haven't been here in a while, but stopped by recently to install obs on my new pc for some testing.

This is probably old news, but 1) Opus does work, but you have to change the sample rate in audio settings to 48Khz first (44.1 doesn't work).
2) To my horror when I went to download the 4.1.4 version of the shared library of ffmpeg I could no longer find it. Luckily I did a search on my work PC, and I still had a copy. Anyone need it, email me (I think 'starting a conversation' on this forum will send me an email).

-Alan