Is there any way to run the recording compression algorithm on a pre-created file?

danelyn

I've been fiddling with a bunch of advanced settings in OBS to fix some audio settings for my use case, and in setting these, I've had to use the Advanced output mode. In the recording section, I actually just set the quality to lossless thinking that the change wouldn't be that bad, but it's changing my file sizes from about a decent 30gb to about 200gb, and I have absolutely no idea how to store these files (I've recorded approximately 500gb of footage over just 5 hours). Is there any way to run the exact same compression algorithm that these options use? (as follows)

1670231120209.png

any help would be much appreciated. thanks!

koala

You can use postprocessing tools like Handbrake to recode existing video files. The only postprocessing functionality in OBS is remuxing (changing container format, for example mkv to mp4), but not recoding (recompress video data).

danelyn

ah, understood. the question I moreso had was is there any process to mimic the exact settings that I've shown? I'm a little bit obsessive about the quality of my videos, and I don't want to be playing with settings only to get "just right", if that makes sense. thank you so much!

koala

How to read the logfile to get recording settings used in simple mode:
Copy these settings to the corresponding Handbrake encoding settings (I guess it has a similar encoder setup as OBS).