Question / Help Is it possible to use a laptop as a webcam?

g00dbyemisterA

I was just wondering, I have a laptop with a good integrated web cam (its an MSI if that info is needed) is there anyway of rigging the laptop to the pc I use to stream and use the webcam from the laptop whilst using my microphone (a blue snowball) as the audio device (which is connected to my desktop) as the laptop's integrated microphone is awfully quiet.
Thanks in advance
g00dbyemisterA

dehixem

unless it has an HDMI OUT port and your PC has HDMI IN ports, I don't think this would be possible

another solution would be to use a capture card (external or internal)

g00dbyemisterA

dehixem, both my desktop and laptop have HDMI ports, excuse me if I am naive as I am not the most experienced with hooking things up, could you give me a step by stem guide on how I would set up the webcam as it does not appear in the video capture devices on OBS after I connect the HDMI cable to the Desktop and Laptop

FerretBomb

Yes, HDMI output and input ports are two different things, even if they have the same plug.

Only display devices (and capture cards) have HDMI in ports. Some laptops have them too, but they only allow another device to 'steal' the monitor; it never actually touches the computer, just the display.

Getting back to your original question, yes, there are programs that allow you to use a laptop or smartphone as a virtual webcam. Google for them. OBS does not have this functionality built in.