Is it possible to create a pixel shift on a stream to encode a Date / Time Stamp on a Video Stream?

oxonotso

Is it possible to create a pixel shift on a stream to encode a Date / Time Stamp on a Video Stream?
ie encode a date/time stamp in a video stream that is "invisible" to the viewer but where the date / time information can be regenerated from the encoding in the video stream

The question uses the word Date/Time stamp, which is very specific, and any form of present solution in OBS to create some form of pixel shift could be usable: I just do not know where to look on this first day of 2020

Background

The theft of video content is a problem.

One solution is to create a visible Date / Time for the creation of a broadcast of a one time showing of content to a known audience which then gives a set of one or more viewers that have access to the broadcast and use this information to save time in any investigation.
The problem with a visible Date/Time stamp is that the Date/Time is visible and can be easily cut out of the video as the Date/Time Stamp would typically at the edge of a video stream.

However, if some pixel shift can be made to encode the Date/Time in a video stream with various positions in the stream, and an algorithm to regenerate the Date/Time of the one time showing of content to a know audience, it is harder for a amatuer theive to avoid further investigation of content posted.

In terms of the theft of Video Content from an adult site, like https://chaturbate.com , where a user has stolen Video Content from what is a private one time show of adult nature means that the video can then be posted on other sites for profit or pleasure.

Some broadcasters do not wish any content from the private one time show of adult material as any public broadcasts are non-nude or not adult content.

In terms of punishment for the theft of the video content, if a user name of a an adult site is known and has left payment information, then IF the stolen content is found on the internet AND if the broadcaster takes time to find out which user name had access to the content, then it is possible to create legal and civil prosecution for the theft.

It would be a lot easier to locate the username if there is an encoded "invisible" date time stamp on the video stream that can be used to correlate the payment of viewing to a private one time show of adult material to the payment records of the broadcaster to find a set of one or more usernames that have had access to the stolen content

A date / time would help save time to create such a set of one or more usernames and the appropriate evidence of access to the stolen conten.

Fenrir

Forum Admin
This would be handled by the service, not the encoder. I suggest reaching out to the streaming service to see if they can watermark the video on playback. A simple date/time won't be sufficient, and if you want to imprint user information so you can track it back to whoever downloaded/recorded it, you'd have to do that on the service side. OBS would have no access or any way of knowing.

oxonotso

As a stream for a broadcast starts at the encoding of the video, the OBS application, the imprint of date/time and perhaps identification (username) are all possible, if a form for encryption of the information (and decription) is possible.

Ther reference to playback, in therms of chaturbate, is not applicable terms as such, the broadcast is a one time viewing "live", there being only playback for those who have purchased the private session with the broadcaster, in which case the only lawful method of viewing is from the site, where the term playback could be used.
ie OBS stream to a redistribution point at the service(site).

In general terms, it is best that any information required to obtain evidence in video theft, is best started as close to the broadcaster as possible, the OBS stream being the closest possible.

I am not sure as to why a simple date/time would not be sufficient, in the Use Case, it allows for the identification of any video to be traced to the date/time of live transmission to a site and live transmission to the viewer(s).

Reference to OBS having access to or knowing any information is not correct, OBS has a system clock that can be accessed and the username of the broadcaster is known by ... the broadcaster, who can input this information into OBS.

I have no comment about the reach out to the site as, at this point in time,

The question is, do I have to google more for a possible program(plugin/facility in OBS that can encode the time/date (and at your suggestion) username in the Live One Time Viewing stream by means of a maybe unthought of method, for which looks like I will have to google more about tomorrow.

Edit:
Ps I forgot to write that OBS is used to multiple services of this type, sometimes (don't tell anyone) the broadcaster streams to different sites at the same time, therefor, any service by any site would have to have the same qualities.
If the same alogorithm for encrypt and decrypt (for evidence) is used on the OBS encoding at the time of transmission, then there is no need to involve any, number, of sites in persuit of a solution.

Last edited:

dodgepong

Administrator
Forum Admin
If you see an instance of a pirated video, do you not already have a record of when that broadcast happened and who was authorized to view it? Why does this information need to be embedded in the video?

It's worth mentioning that the problem you're trying to solve is essentially DRM, and there are workarounds available to any solution you're going to come up with. There are ways of pirating videos that even companies like Netflix can't prevent.

For example, pixel shift imprinting would only really work on exact video data. If a pirate were to screen-record your broadcast, the pixel shifts will be corrupted due to the video being re-encoded.

oxonotso

The object is NOT to prevent theft by technology, but to obtain evidence if stolen content is found.
Chaturbate, and others, are not Netflix, and the scenario is different

The viewer of the video can copy the video, sure, but if placed on a site that is not authorised by the broadcaster, it is hoped that the evidence available in the video can help apprehend the thief.

There are two types of thieves, professional and amatuer.
It may be possible to catch the amateur thieves, the professional could probably find a way around the problem.
As the implementation of encoding is left to the OBS user, and not the service(site) there can be sufficient differences in implementation to make it more complicated to thwart the encoded signal.

As I will freely admit, the only thing I know about encoding a message in a visual representation of "something" is, that it was once illegal in France ( I think this has changed).

Have you any link to "something" I could start playing with in OBS?

Edit:
very small edit, just moved the text around a bit
and add link(s) to Chaturbate (ok ok, it is a link that gives "tokens" if people join: I am a bad boy)

Last edited:

dodgepong

Administrator
Forum Admin
The viewer of the video can copy the video, sure, but if placed on a site that is not authorised by the broadcaster, it is hoped that the evidence available in the video can help apprehend the thief.
Again, do you not already have this evidence? If it's on a site under an account that isn't your own, then obviously you didn't authorize the upload. Do you not have your own record of the broadcast, as well as a record of who was authorized to view that broadcast? Why does a video imprint have to factor in, here?

oxonotso

Please, all of the above that I have written are correct.
Please help me with a piece of technology that can add the functionality to OBS.
The thread is getting two long in terms of "have I the right idea", and continual questioning about the fitness for use are now becoming tedious.

If a stolen video is found on a site,then it is possible to request removal when the site abides by DMCA.
The video, can be one of Hundreds that a broadcaster has made, and a tedious comparison to the hurndreds of video's could be fun for some, but maybe not the broadcaster.
If the video is encoded, and decoding produces date/time then the viewer of the video is a member of 1 or up to 32 viewer, depending on the PRIVATE showing of the broadcasted content: ie only those who have paid to see have the possibility to record and redistribute.

Therefore, with one piece of video, a data and time, the Broadcaster has a payout record of which users have had the ability to record a video and therefor redistribution.
If the set of viewers is only one, then, the case is set, and law enforcement, together with the evidence, the video, and, for example, Chaturbate 's financial records of the username (name and address from credit card) can persue the case in criminal and civil court.

Do you have any links to a starting point in the encoding of a date / time in an OBS stream where the object of the exercise is not to make the video unviewable, but to ensure some information is contained to allow for the set of 1 (or up to 32) viewers be found and a possible thieve be found?

dodgepong

Administrator
Forum Admin
No, I don't have any information about how one would do that in practice. You could probably fake it with some sort of subtle filter or mask if you really want to, or maybe a text overlay with very low opacity that someone wouldn't notice unless they were looking for it.