Is Browser hardware acceleration broken in 27.2?

My start up, brb screens etc are browser based,
e.g. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYys7vqWGXo and

With 27.2, they are jerky, low frame rates and CPU utilization is high. I have gone into settings and enabled/disabled acceleration several times, no change. Reinstalled 27.1.3 and it works fine, smooth as butter.

Attachments

• 2022-02-15 20-26-44.txt
    24.7 KB · Views: 79
  • 2022-02-16 01-16-56.txt
    30.2 KB · Views: 28
  • 2022-02-16 01-20-13.txt
    22.7 KB · Views: 21
Note that both scenes are not pre-rendered videos but rendered real-time in 3d (see the date and time on the "subnautica intro" video as witness to this), so rely heavily on hardware acceleration.

Here is a comparison video for the two versions

efrancis50

I have a similar situation where the Animated Lower Third V1.6 on OBS 27.2 on Windows 10 has stop Working. I revert back to OBS 27.1.3 and it works fine. Any help or suggestion?

So, 27.2.4 and still can't use any of them. All have the same issue. Tried uninstalling, reinstalling, dancing naked in the moonlight. None of it works. Were substantial changes made to the web engine?

CPU is at 50%, GPU at 30%. 69C on CPU and GPU. Still jerking like a jerky thing.

Last edited:
@efrancis50 its Not an obs problem
Please contact the dev of your Not working plugin He must fix his plugin.
It isn't a plugin cyclemat. It is just HTML and Javascript run using the built in browser plugin, which does not appear to work as well. I wrote the Javascript and HTML myself. It loads a random selection of gameplay clips in and then animates them. It worked perfectly well in 27.19. Whenever I reinstall that, everything works fine.

I wonder if the switch has been made from a chrome based implementation of the chromium browser to something more like Edge. When I open the HTML file in Chrome, it animates smoothly. In Edge it stutters, just like new version OBS.

PaiSand

Basically, old version and windows dvr. Also, verify if the plugins you installed are updated and support latest versions of OBS.
Samplerates, no need to go over 48Khz. You can fix it in windows audio control panel.

Basically, old version and windows dvr. Also, verify if the plugins you installed are updated and support latest versions of OBS.
Samplerates, no need to go over 48Khz. You can fix it in windows audio control panel.

Like I said, I uninstalled OBS and all plugins. Then reinstalled vanilla OBS.

48k sampling was in use, but it doesn't even animate smoothly in preview mode without any encoding taking place. I doubt converting sample rates with challenge anything though it might produce worse audio - if it was an issue there'd be higher GPU/CPU utilization.

The scene is created with an HTML file. No plugins employed. hence plugins are surely not the issue?

I just checked and both gamebar and windows recording are disabled. Surely there'd be higher CPU/GPU utilization if that was the issue?

Old version of OBS: works fine. New versions of OBS: broken.

Last edited:
Of course, I uploaded logs from both versions, the old version, which works and what was then the newest version, which does not. No version since has worked.

RobQlder

I have experienced this issue too since updating OBS to 27.2.4.
I am running MacOS 12.3.1 and have no plugins. I have verified the issue with Chrome browser (Version 100.0.4896.75 Official Build x86_64) and Brave browser (Version 1.37.111 Chromium: 100.0.4896.79 Official Build x86_64) in both cases if hardware acceleration is ON then as soon as OBS is launched the video feed goes black but the audio remains. If I turn hardware acceleration OFF then I can record video but unfortunately it is too choppy to be usable.

Interestingly this doesn't impact all recordings, I can capture from youtube but no longer from nba.com. Is there a relationship between hardware acceleration and some kinds of DRM?

Last edited:
I have now upgraded my system: 3070ti, AMD 5900X, 32Gb RAM, Reinstalled Windows. No plugins. It still jerks on newer versions of OBS, even when not encoding, whereas it worked before. Something has been broken.

Tyr808

I have now upgraded my system: 3070ti, AMD 5900X, 32Gb RAM, Reinstalled Windows. No plugins. It still jerks on newer versions of OBS, even when not encoding, whereas it worked before. Something has been broken.
I stumbled upon this thread looking for a fix to the same browser acceleration issues as you describe. I just reinstalled 27.1.3 and sure enough it all works again perfectly.

I'm on a pretty fresh Windows 11 install with a 3080 and a 5800x, 16GB ram myself.