Is a graphics card important?

Scrappler_24

Hello. I'm trying to record 4 cameras while using advanced scene switcher and audio input from my DAW (mix craft). I'm using an older i5 laptop for the OBS. I've tried a bunch of different OBS settings but cant get the video to stop lagging. Was thinking of buying a better desktop with NVidia graphics to help. Would anyone know if a decent graphics card like NVidia would make a big difference in the video lagging (latency?). Thanks

Lawrence_SoCal

Unfortunately, the real answer is - it depends :(
in your case, the basic answer is more likely that real-time video encoding is VERY computationally demanding. And your computer isn't up to the task... And laptops are almost always, optimized for battery life, not the computationally demanding task of real-time video encoding. Laptops can do this, but will almost always have additional thermal throttling considerations over a desktop
I recommend monitoring hardware resource (CPU, GPU, RAM, Disk I/O, etc) utilization [for ex. using Task manager’s Performance tab and/or Resource Monitor] to see if your system is being maxed out with your settings

You don't mention the types of cameras and how connected to PC
Having a GPU to handle video decoding (from camera) and encoding (for stream/recording) can help, but you can use CPU as well.
Typically, one tries to use GPU offload to reduce workload on CPU to free it up for other tasks. But if CPU is powerful enough, that isn't necessary
So you may be wondering... well, what CPU would be enough for 4 cameras? and again, it depends on LOTS of other factors, plus resolution, fps, and more for the cameras themselves.

And look into USB Root Hub overload/overwhelm issues in this forum, as that could be an issue for you as well (again, depending on technology in use for camera connectivity). And beware CPU impact of adding chroma key, various Audio filters/effects, etc. ... not to mention background OS processes. Sorta like a multi-variant calculus in complexity of considerations... kinda fun if you are into that sort of thing

As for desktop GPU, you are looking for a Turing or Ampere (latest) NVENC capable GPU, so that used to be GTX 1650 Super or newer/higher model.. there _may_ be some recently released 1650 with Turing... ymmv

wilderf353

As I understand it, ...
  • OBS uses both the CPU and the video card GPU processor
    • OBS uses this CPU for video encoding and streaming
    • OBS uses the GPU for video compositing (example: a weatherperson over the image of the weather map).
      • the GPU must be DirectX 10.1 compatible (current version is DirectX 12 )
      • you need a good GPU for complex scenes in OBS, otherwise your stream will skip/lag
      • Some video cards (Nvidia) have a dedicated processor for video encoding. You can configure OBS to use this processor instead of the CPU. Hardware encoders are generally recommended for local recordings, but not streaming. This may be a good option for older computers: upgrade the video card,
      • Google “cpu gpu obs” to read more about this topic

Last edited:

Maggers

As I understand it, ...
  • OBS uses both the CPU and the video card GPU processor
    • OBS uses this CPU for video encoding and streaming
    • OBS uses the GPU for video compositing (example: a weatherperson over the image of the weather map).
      • the GPU must be DirectX 10.1 compatible (current version is DirectX 12 )
      • you need a good GPU for complex scenes in OBS, otherwise your stream will skip/lag
      • Some video cards (Nvidia) have a dedicated processor for video encoding. You can configure OBS to use this processor instead of the CPU. Hardware encoders are generally recommended for local recordings, but not streaming. This may be a good option for older computers: upgrade the video card,
      • Google “cpu gpu obs” to read more about this topic
I'm glad I searched the forum before asking. I've seen an AIO computer with Intel i7 4790, 8GB RAM, 22in screen and Intel HD Graphics 4600 for not that much. I'd like an AIO for streaming events but need to research is this PC with an SSD in it will be enough or if I'd need to get a dedicated GPU in it - and I dont think even though its a bulky old fat AIO if the MOBO will have the capacity for an add-on card. I'm still researching.

Lawrence_SoCal

an i7-4xxxx series CPU is 8 generations old... ancient when to come to real-time video encoding. Yes, doable if you have low expectations and are expert in optimized Operating System and OBS settings... otherwise, uh, yea, skip to something MUCH more current

No, All-in-Ones, by design, aren't meant for Addin Cards (doesn't mean there isn't an exception, but extremely rare than an AIO is worth it). I personally was looking for a (much larger than AIO) Small Form Factor PC and still ran into issues finding one that would take a full-size GPU (as a half-height GTX 1650 could work, I'm not buying something that old (couple of generations)... and I've not seen at Turing 1/2 card, and at this point, might not go that route anyway

You don't need a SSD *IF* you know how to monitor and isolate disk I/O. If not, then a SSD goes overboard and makes it (usually) a non-issue [assuming something else not royally messed up)