iPhone and/or FaceTime capture

goldwingnut

I'm new to OBS and so far it's very good and easy to use. I've done a few live broadcasts with it now and am very happy with the results.
I'd like to capture the audio directly from an iPhone and/or FaceTime for broadcast line - typical live call in like they do on radio.
I've played around with OBS for serval hours now and haven't been able to figure out how to do this and I know I can't possibly be the first to ever want to do this.
I've tried placing a microphone next to the speaker on the phone and it works of course, but it's a really poor solution. It would be great if my wife could screen the callers and they just be able to pickup the conversation feed directly from the phone.
I've used the microphone and the camera capabilities of the iPhone but capturing a conversation has alluded me so far.
I'm new to the forum (today) and have done a few searches but of course I don't know what I don't know.
If someone can point me in the right direction or another thread it would be greatly appreciated

Working with a Mac Studio, 3 monitors, and a couple of webcams, and microphones, iPhone 13

Thanks,
Don

shades

I just bought one of these things for a very similar need: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CMMD3SC2

I think you'll be buying one too.

The connector goes into your iPhone 13, your wife plugs in her earbuds/headphones into the headphone port, once she verifies this is not some troll/inappropriate content she will be connecting a 3.5mm TRS male end into the microphone icon on the adapter. The other male end of this 3.5mm TRS cable goes into your Mac's sound card. The signal you are getting from the adapter is a stereo audio signal (line level, I think).

Once this cable is in, you can click the unmute microphone part so your audience doesn't hear a loud pop of the male end of the plug going into the sound card.

Enjoy

P.S.

Your wife will want a Y headphone splitter cable if your audience wants/needs to hear the phone caller's voice. Your computers sound-out goes into the iPhone adapter mic icon port. Your iPhone adapter's speaker icon port goes into your computers sound card's line in port.

goldwingnut

I just bought one of these things for a very similar need: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CMMD3SC2

I think you'll be buying one too.

The connector goes into your iPhone 13, your wife plugs in her earbuds/headphones into the headphone port, once she verifies this is not some troll/inappropriate content she will be connecting a 3.5mm TRS male end into the microphone icon on the adapter. The other male end of this 3.5mm TRS cable goes into your Mac's sound card. The signal you are getting from the adapter is a stereo audio signal (line level, I think).

Once this cable is in, you can click the unmute microphone part so your audience doesn't hear a loud pop of the male end of the plug going into the sound card.

Enjoy

P.S.

Your wife will want a Y headphone splitter cable if your audience wants/needs to hear the phone caller's voice. Your computers sound-out goes into the iPhone adapter mic icon port. Your iPhone adapter's speaker icon port goes into your computers sound card's line in port.
Well that's simple enough, you must be a PC guy, the Mac Studio doesn't have a sound card proper like the PC's do, but fortunately there's an adapter to go from 3.5mm to USB C. Fortunately for me, I've been using and building PC's since DOS 2.11.
Thanks, I'll give it a try.

shades

I was more into PCs before 2012 and have been pretty hard in the mac eco system since. I tri-operating system though, each excels at it's own tasks. I really thought mac was the "media go to" operating system, always being touted towards artists especially with names like Adobe backing but the more and more I try to do *anything* media related on the mac it's either impossible or a nightmare workflow. OBS seems to run flawless on windows, if I could only figure out my temp space/drive issue on that host, but that's an issue for another forum.

>the Mac Studio doesn't have a sound card proper like the PC's do
Yeah I'm absolutely shocked at this. My bug reports on GitHub and here I think, no resolution for OBS-MIDI-MG. Just can't get my midi controller to be used as a stream deck. It's an alexis's x25, shhhhuuuuure would be nice if someone who knows how to code better than I do can isolate why it's not working and/or point out my system configuration causing the problem...