IP cam via VLC source freezes and stays frozen..

Hello,

I made a setup with OBS and about 5 IP cams for our local church. I expect many people here being in the same situation in COVID time.

After some steep learning curve, it works like a charm. The initial lip sync problems are overcome with a 750msec audio delay. All in all a very cheap solution, and good quality.

So please note, that I am very impressed by this project, and I compliment all the people behind it, who keep this project going !

I connected the IP camera's via the VLC source and added the RTSP stream key in the 'Add URL' field. The camera's itself are cheap IP cams and work perfect when played back via VLC. So this seems stable enough.

I have one problem I cannot find a solution for. Every now and then a VLC source freezes and stays at that position. Preview of that specific camera turns grey and won't change. This happens to any cam at any time. If I enter the configuration screen of OBS VLC source, make no changes, and press OK, then VLC source seems to be reset and the picture reappears. Also , restarting OBS most times solves the problem, but this is a bit awkward in a live situation;-)

In practice, I quickly change to another camera so no one notices ;-)

So, I think that it is inevitable that a connection drops every now and then, but then it would be nice if VLC source would restart automatically after detecting this .

Does anyone has a solution for this ?

I have read many post addressing the same problem, and i am not keen on adding scripts as a work around.

So, if this is a (minor) problem in OBS, maybe a solution can be made in OBS itself ?

Considering this is a common problem and OBS is used extensively for this purpose in COVID time, I think a lot of people would get happy with this;-)

Thank you !

So at last i found a solution. This is GStreamer. If you encounter the problems above, consider installing GStreamer and the GStreamer plugin in OBS. Works like a charm. Credits to Tuna....

Low latency, low processor load, stable, no picture freezes.

So installation is a bit complicated.
- install gstreamer from https://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/download/
- mind downloading the minGW version, the MSVC version won't work in this case
- copy the obs-gstreamer plugin to the plugins directory of OBS
- https://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/download/
- add the path of the BIN directory of gstreamer to the environment path

then you are good to go !!